TW2/3 on Alienware M11x R2

Hi,

Has anyone had any success running theatre of war 2 on an Alienware M11x R2 laptop. The issue is the nvidia optimus technology, where the gpu doesn't recognize the game *.exe to switch to the dedicated gpu for gaming. I think this may have to do with the fact the exe launches a *.bin file. I cannot get the game running on the dedicated card even when I set up a profile. I realize this is an Nvidia issue, but I was wondering if anyone has found a work around. As I'd like to play when I travel for work!

Thanks.

**had posted this in the TW tech support forum..but not much activity going on there.

Sorry, I don't have experience using the Nvidia Optimus platform for laptop graphics.

I assume that you have been using this process to customize Optimus profiles and settings.

I would have assumed that using the above process would have 'forced' the GPU to be on once that executable is launched. If that is not the case, then the issue is probably as you have guessed where the '.bin' file is responsible for the actual 3D code to be started and run and the Optimus profile is automatically overriding the Profile setting for the executable since it isn't launching the 3D processes.

The only suggestion I have is to contact Nvidia and submit the issue as a bug. Admittedly the above link may not truly submit this issue or get a decent answer to your issue.

Thanks, I just wanted to see if anyone had a quick fix. Strangely enough, I tried it on CMBB 2 as well and no dice. But perhaps because that engine is so old it didn't implement the dedicated gpu either. And yes, I have been using nvidia's guidance on adding software to the profile list, also have tried a number of user suggested tricks. To no avail. I have submitted a forum post at the nvidia site and will try and send it in as an issue. I don't see a way around it right now unless they get their "global dedicated" option to work (there is an option in the driver to use the dedicated card globally..but it doesn't work right now.).

thanks

• 1 year later...
Thanks, I just wanted to see if anyone had a quick fix. Strangely enough, I tried it on CMBB 2 as well and no dice. But perhaps because that engine is so old it didn't implement the dedicated gpu either. And yes, I have been using nvidia's guidance on adding software to the profile list, also have tried a number of user suggested tricks. To no avail. I have submitted a forum post at the nvidia site and will try and send it in as an issue. I don't see a way around it right now unless they get their "global dedicated" option to work (there is an option in the driver to use the dedicated card globally..but it doesn't work right now.).

thanks

Don't know if you are still around or looking for the answer, but I found the quick fix you asked about...

http://www.battlefront.com/community/showthread.php?t=105272

• 6 months later...