Demo?

rangerj

Watched the videos and despite looking great, it doesn't give me a feel for the game like I want. I've played the demos to the others, but couldn't get into them like I wanted to - I'm a CMSF fan and it just feels very different. I was hoping that a change of venue to Korea would be different enough to turn me on to TOW. Or at least hold my interest until CMBN releases.

Watched the videos and despite looking great, it doesn't give me a feel for the game like I want. I've played the demos to the others, but couldn't get into them like I wanted to - I'm a CMSF fan and it just feels very different. I was hoping that a change of venue to Korea would be different enough to turn me on to TOW. Or at least hold my interest until CMBN releases.

yeah, that's what I am doing.

Had to reset the video settings from the main menu and restart as the cursor didn't line up properly. Took me down to 57 minutes.

Then started the game. . . Loooong load time (4G RAM and 7200RPM drive). Finally, got into the game, looked around the (beautiful looking) map for about 2-3 minutes. Exited.

50 minutes left in the demo.

Guess I won't have too many kicks at this cat before it times out. At least with the CMAK demo you've got all the time you want with the one or two scenarios provided. Being over 50, I need that extra time for my brain to comprehend what's going on. I doubt that I'll have time to learn the interface or do a hell of a lot before it times out on me. Oh well, I DID order up Normandy sight unseen.

Then I tried the TOW3 demo on a desktop with a 6850 Core2 Duo, 4G of RAM, 9600GS video adapter running on Windows XP with Microsoft Security Essentials. The demo crashed, despite clean reboots, etc.

On the other hand, the recently released World of Tanks runs like a charm. You can change the window size and everything.

I'm getting concerned for what's going to happen when I receive Normandy, but then I've seen this stuff with Battlefront games before. Sigh.

At least I'm now enjoying CMBB and CMAK (which I bought the other day).

Are you running the demo on a different desktop than the first one you mentioned ? How far into loading up did you get before it 'crashed' ? Did you get beyond the initial 'buy' menu ?

The TOW series is developed by 1C Company (we are just a distributor in this case), though it does use our new 'Online Activation System' for the copy-protection. This software is in effect somewhat for the demo too. I'm not sure how applicable the demo experience you're having here will be to CMBN. CMBN will also use the same copy-protection/DRM software as TOW 3 does, if that is a concern.

Admittedly 60 minutes is not long to get a feel for the play of the game.

The new copy-protection/DRM software allows for limited time demos of the FULL FUNCTIONING version of the game. This is a feature we didn't have with the previous demos of our products, which usually just offered the ability to play one or two scenarios (with no time limit). The advantages for us are two fold. The customer gets to (quickly) check out some of the features in the game that they previously would not have access to. The second advantage is that we are able to come out with a demo much quicker since it only needs a few changes to the copy-protection/DRM system to allow it to be a limited time demo. This means we don't have to go back into the game and remove/disable chunks of code and data to make a limited feature demo.

However there is a downside (as you can see). We have to figure out a reasonable amount of time for the player to play the game and develop a desire to purchase it. However this isn't long enough to play more than one or two missions.

I'm getting concerned for what's going to happen when I receive Normandy, but then I've seen this stuff with Battlefront games before. Sigh.

At least I'm now enjoying CMBB and CMAK (which I bought the other day).

While the Korea demo and Normandy will use the same copy protection technology, the details in how it's implemented vary a great deal between demos and full version games. Either way, I don't think it's the copy protection technology that is causing the demo to crash anyway. Much more likely are either hardware/driver issues with the game, or Windows security settings which are too restrictive. Feel free to go to www.battlefront.com/helpdesk and click on Submit Ticket and we can help you troubleshoot.

I'm getting a new "Black Pearl" PC soon and since I like and have all the TOW games series I will most likely purchase "Korea". I just find 1 hour too short of a time period to mess around with the demo. So these styles of demo's don't cut it for me!