Scenarios that never end

Rosseau

It's hard to believe the age-old problem of scenarios going on forever because one enemy soldier remains alive somewhere...

I created three new campaigns and could not finish the first battles on any of them because of this problem. And these were defensive battles.

And there's no way to edit the scripting on these battles, either. Any suggestions?

How did you create those battles? Scripts are the same for all missions while mission templates (placing of placeholders, rects, etc.) differ. A scenario may not end if, for example, script waits for no enemies left in area A while there is no such area in a created scenario.

I didn't create the scenarios; the strategic campaign generator within the game did. Three generated campaigns and the first battles of each one never ended.

It also appears that mission files are not created for generated campaigns anymore that I can find, or I might have been able to view them and find the problem.

I was in such situation once in the single player campaign. On a map where a player is supposed to take the base on a hill. The first stage of the battle could be fought with AFVs but the second, due to presence of dragon teeth and narrow passages, was all infantry (Hooah!). The battle lasted for three hours. My troops even managed to capture a 105 Howitzer, which was a great help in the struggle (as I did not take any field guns nor ATGs or howitzers). After a long mortar bombardment (both from on and off map mortars, including captured 81mm) and an assault of three squads, I managed to take my objective. But the mission did not end. I've combed through the whole map. I've even called air sorties multiple times to spot the hidden enemy to no avail. After 30mins or so, I found out the cause of the trouble. It was a single soldier in a MG bunker somewhere near the objective, who somehow I have missed. Odd enough, I've checked this bunker with one of my SMG troops. I believe the situation happened because of a visibility bug (close-quarters.) that's been with the series for ages, my guy didn't spot the opponent (why don't you guys fix it at last for Christ's sake? Trench warfare and all infantry close quarters has been a real pain in the ass for quite some time. You've made an awesome cover system and fragmentation damage model. Now it's the time for close-quarter combat. I know you can do it). Luckily, the mission ended after that sneaky guy suddenly decided to surrender. I think that was the only enemy left on the map.

I think that the victory condition should not be dependant on: IF there is a single enemy unit in the objective area, DO NOT end the mission until the player has found it and either killed or captured that vicious, sneaky sod that spoils the gameplay. It should rather be based on percentage of enemy forces left in the region or on the proportions of player to enemy forces in the vicinity and their morale.

Strangely enough, in one of the defensive missions, knocking out a single tank and cutting down a few grunts is enough to win. Prematurely I say.

Generated a fourth campaign and first scenario worked fine. Nice three-pronged assault by the AI. Battle ended with enemy remnants still on the map.

Interesting post, Lemonade. Glad to see you were able to finish that long battle.