Are graphics more stable than CMSF?

One of the things that I found a bit annoying in CMSF was the constant flickering, redrawing, down/up sampling of visuals, appearing/disppearing trees etc. Sometimes when intense firefight broke out terrain would suddenly turn into a martian landscape. I think patches improved things but some of these issues remained. Is the terrain less affected this time by an overworking CPU?

I can't speak with any authority since I can't try it out on a huge variety of systems, but I haven't seen the re-drawing problem (which I definitely saw in CMSF on the same computer) in a very, very long time. The LOD transition is also very, very good. As in, I have to be looking for it to really notice.

I was just wondering something along those lines. The fall-off on ground-texture fidelity in particular seemed extremely close when I fired up the Afghanistan demo.

This will differ depending on your in-game settings as well. One of the big things it changes is how close in the LODs go.

I can't speak with any authority since I can't try it out on a huge variety of systems, but I haven't seen the re-drawing problem (which I definitely saw in CMSF on the same computer) in a very, very long time. The LOD transition is also very, very good. As in, I have to be looking for it to really notice.

Thanks for the feedback ND. LOD transition was a bit problematic in CMSF, nice to see this ironed out.

This will differ depending on your in-game settings as well. One of the big things it changes is how close in the LODs go.

Even at "best" - which does tend to kill my performance (for reference E8400@3Ghz, 5GB of RAM and NVidia 9600) - the underlying ground texture disappeared rapidly. That may well be intentional, I'm not going to 2nd guess the graphics programming since I have no experience there, but I'd say mostly it was the jarring nature from high-res to really low-res.

The screens from the various CMBN AARs seem not to have that issue, but that could be jpeg compression and/or less underlying ground texture transitions (that is, not mottled brown/green like the 2nd mission in the Afghanistan demo).

Generally CMSF (which I have, fully patched) plays well, but I play at Better (I think - one or two stops up from the default) but I will certainly cheer if the quality/performance of the graphics engine rises ;)

I am surprised that so many people complain about the graphics performance.

I have a real low end processor: 1.8GHz dual core, 2 GB RAM (I built it as a small server 4 years ago).

Until recently I ran it on the onboard graphics card, and that was slow, but still playable although for example trenches disappeared at a really short distance.

Now I bought a passively cooled ATI 5550 - 1GB DDR2 - absolutely silent, which is still listed as mediocre card, and cheap at Euro 65, but I run CMSF at maximum quality, shadows on, AA on, large maps, large forces, and at a speed that I find perfectly acceptable: around 15 FPS, and moving around the map is completely smooth.

One of the things that I found a bit annoying in CMSF was the constant flickering, redrawing, down/up sampling of visuals, appearing/disppearing trees etc. Sometimes when intense firefight broke out terrain would suddenly turn into a martian landscape. I think patches improved things but some of these issues remained. Is the terrain less affected this time by an overworking CPU?

I played the CM:SF NATO demo yesterday before I uninstalled it (by the laws of procrastination it was part of the clean-up process to fire it up one more time) and noticed the frequent strange "sweeping" re-drawing of small trees / bushes from front to back.

This is something that I cannot remember happening in CM:BN at all.

The ferocity of the firefights in CM:SF can (naturally) also not be compared to the pace in CM:BN, but this is another story. Fanboy that I am, I concluded that, even knowing CM:BN, CM:SF is still a damn fine game!

Best regards,

Thomm