Spotting and destroying IEDs/Roadside bombs?

IIRC, you cannot EVER spot an IED until it explodes. I have read that if one suspects an IED location you may be able to destroy it by firing at that location. But, it's all guesswork.

The best tactics is to smoke the suspected IED location. If the triggerman can't see it, he can't activate it and it won't blow up.

Since the triggerman has to have LOS to the IED, you can also smoke or blow up any locations where the triggerman may be hiding.

Hope that helps.

(And if there are any other methods, I also would love to hear about 'em.)

IIRC, you cannot EVER spot an IED until it explodes.

Are you sure? I am pretty sure that I've had a sniper team spot an IED in a scenario I made. I am also 99% certain that I was not using Scenario Author Test mode when it happened. IIRC they'd been observing the area for a good ten minutes when I got the icon.

As I said though I can't claim 100% certainty that I was not using Test mode, so if anyone knows for certain I'll stand corrected.

Well it would be VERY interesting if one can spot IED's.

And no, engineers cannot sweep mines, only mark them. (But I think that someone unlucky has to "find" a mine by blowing it up, and then the engineers can mark it.)

From a game POV this is all very disappointing. But, from the milpro/grognard POV mostly seen here, they will hold that the scale of this game cannot deal with issues such as mine-clearing (or recon, or proper snipers etc.) imo this is what still makes CM1 the better "game."