Rock, Paper, Shotgun QB AAR

Looking at picture 11 - the one with the AT gunner fighting with the Luger, the roadwheel of the PAK has some clipping issues with the wall it is adjacent to.

Although I only fiddled with CMSF, rather than actually playing it, I was disappointed to see a lot of very serious clipping issues, especially with vehicles. Often, if ordered to the same spot, they would all merge together rather than, as in CMX1, pushing each other out of the way.

I do hope those issues have been sorted for CMBN because they would be a real immersion breaker for me, at least.

Two issues that come up after reading the AAR:

The reason that the FO could not call in Air Support seems like it was some sort of chain-of-command issue. Maybe the FO was an artillery observer rather than an air controller? Brings up an issue however. Will the player have to make sure that any FO he chooses will match up with the asset in a Quick Battle? Will the auto-picker make sure that observers and assets match up?

Also Sound was mentioned in the AAR, and the author was wondering why the Germans did not attack a nearby U.S. tank, because surely they had to hear the tanks engine. This brings up a good point? How are sound contacts handled in CM:BN? Will the AI fire at a sound contact? I was never clear on how this works in CM:SF.

Also Sound was mentioned in the AAR, and the author was wondering why the Germans did not attack a nearby U.S. tank, because surely they had to hear the tanks engine. This brings up a good point? How are sound contacts handled in CM:BN? Will the AI fire at a sound contact? I was never clear on how this works in CM:SF.

I am pretty sure Battlefront stated that the concept of sound contacts was gone.

I am not sure if this means human players will not hear the sounds of unspotted enemy tanks if close enough or not.

But as the "sound contact" concept is gone I don't think the TAC AI will be reacting.

I'm wondering about the date of the battle. Close air support is made deliberately cumbersome before August (I think), the allies simply hadn't worked out a reliable means of interaction between air and ground before then. I believe they're thinking of recommending that pre-August close air support missions be startup area target missions like 'bombardment'. As to mortar support, I suspect newbie player error here. For indirect support using on-map mortars they have to be both deployed and have access to a nearby unit with a radio. Its a team effort. Then your spotter needs his radio too. No cowering PFC out of the chain of command directing battleship artillery support in this game. :)

Two issues that come up after reading the AAR:

The reason that the FO could not call in Air Support seems like it was some sort of chain-of-command issue. Maybe the FO was an artillery observer rather than an air controller? Brings up an issue however. Will the player have to make sure that any FO he chooses will match up with the asset in a Quick Battle? Will the auto-picker make sure that observers and assets match up?

There is no sound contact in CMSF, or I think CMBN and so its just something you have to live with. Just pretend all of your troops are deaf....

The RPS guy posted a comment saying he found out why he didn't have access to his support - the FO had been severely wounded and was out of the fight.

His exact post:

Tim Stone says:

March 26, 2011 at 9:38 am

***Arty/Air Support Clarification***

Having examined one of my savegames, I realise the USAAF and mortar men weren’t actually to blame for my absent assets. The reason my Forward Observer team kept getting a ‘DENIED’ message was because it was – umm – lacking a Forward Observer.

Unbeknown to me, during the early moments of the engagement, the chap with the fieldglasses and the map-reading skills was wounded and left behind. The 2-man ‘FO’ team I was attempting to use to call in assets, had a radio, and eyes on the prize, but, apparently, no-one with the skills to send a support request. I wonder – were FO teams really so fragile/rigidly demarcated?

The 2-man ‘FO’ team I was attempting to use to call in assets, had a radio, and eyes on the prize, but, apparently, no-one with the skills to send a support request. I wonder – were FO teams really so fragile/rigidly demarcated?

And the answer to this is...

Yup :)

Well, at least for these sorts of big assets. Lower level things, such as Light and Medium Mortars, are more flexible.

Think back to CMx1. While the system was pretty crude, and not very realistic in many ways, if you lost your FO you lost your access to that artillery it represented.

Steve

Best screenshots of any an AAR so far.

I don't 100% agree with you. There were some beautiful screenshots in the DAR - the one with the panzerfaust and sherman through the battlefield haze sticks out.

But I have to say that this one is a classic:

CMBfN_06b.jpg

(though yeah, the clipping of the wheel of the PAK does distract)

Yeah, I noticed that clipping problem too. Unfortunately, we haven't yet had time for the TacAI to learn how to maneuver guns in complex ways like vehicles can. Remember this is the first release with anything like this in it, so we're going to be tweaking stuff as we have time. Thankfully this sort of conflict doesn't come up very frequently.

Steve

Yep, interesting AAR. Very nice looking map as well. I liked the screenies, and I noticed a certain Mr Dorosh agreeing. well, sort of! :D

Just done reading this. Very nice little write up with some nice shots. So what if a little bit of gun gets stuck in a wall, never seen a Perfect PC game for this kind of stuff yet. Look at the Uber budget 'Call of Duty' games, you still get to kill guys because you see thier leg sticking out of a wall. I can live with minor stuff like this.

Seems like the fella you mentioned likes it so much that he has pre-ordered too. Now if one of CM-2s biggest critics has pre-ordered, then I can only say that either the game MUST be good or the box must be really shiney!