New to Series, Not a warm welcome

jyxr

Hello there, I'm jyxr. I'm posting here because I figured this would be the place to search for performance issue resolutions. I'm new to the TOW series and really want to play it and give it a chance. However upon purchase and installation of TOW 3 I find that the game, regardless of settings, has an extremely low frame rate to the point of being unplayable. Oddly enough I have a 3.8 GHz quadcore processor , 8GB dd3 ram, 1 GB ddr5 video ram. I'm able to play many newer games on max settings including Fallout New Vegas , Civilization 5, and Shogun 2 Total War. I don't know what's wrong. I'm attempting a reinstall and have updated my video drivers in hopes this will resolve the issue. Any help is much appreciated.

-Jyxr

I have a fairly old laptop intel 2Ghz dual core, 4Go RAM, Nvidia GeForce 8600M GS 512Mo, and the game is running without performance issues. I have not updated the drivers of the graphic card since ages (version 187.66), so perhaps ToW3 is running better with older versions of the drivers?

I'm not sure if an older Catalyst driver will fix the performance issue here or not. There are limitations as to how old of a driver you can use depending on which video card you have. If you want to try a different driver you can do this:

1) Download your desired driver (or possibly several versions to try).

2) Download Driver Sweeper.

3) From the 'Programs and Features' control panel, uninstall the ATI/AMD video drivers. There might be several 'ATI' items listed here. You may want to uninstall the one that mentions 'install/uninstall'. You will probably have to reboot once you have uninstalled these drivers.

4) When your computer is rebooting DO NOT reinstall the driver just yet (or allow Windows to pick out one for you). Instead install and run the Driver Sweeper program. This program will prompt you to uninstall video AND chipset drivers. Be careful about what you uninstall. You do NOT want to uninstall your chipset drivers, just the video drivers. Hopefully this should clean out anything that it finds regarding your video drivers.

5) Now install the driver you would like to try out. This will require a reboot once it is done. You may want to repeat this process to try out different drivers.

I suggest downloading the drivers that have Catalyst Control Centers with them since this piece of software is helpful (if not quite perfect).

The TOW series is known for being quite demanding of CPUs, though your 3.8GHz quad-core should be one of the more powerful CPUs to play the game with. However to my knowledge the TOW series doesn't make true use of the multi-core/threading CPUs. Most, if not all, of the calculations are done on one core, though I may be wrong about that. But even in that case a 3.8GHz CPU would be one of the higher clock rates for any CPU.

I'm not exactly sure what you're running into that may prevent the performance from being at least acceptable with your machine. Other users have complained about their fast machines being brought down to unplayable rates with earlier titles in the TOW series, while other users with slower machines supposedly have not run into such performance problems (though some of the large numbers of units in earlier campaigns did slow things down for everyone).

Can you think of how the other people resolved their issues. I don't wanna mess around with drivers and have other games suffer and I wouldn't know what drivers to try.

<EDOT> And my drivers have CCC

A quick update for anyone else that may have this issue, I've found a partial fix. By partial I mean it helps, but not completely. By following the following steps I have gotten the FPS to stable rates (until a lot of firing occurs) :

1) Go into your Korea folder, then click the users folder, then open the game config file with notepad (game.INI)

1A) Switch "UseOneCPU=0" to "UseOneCPU=1" , this "1" will tell the computer to read the line as true and therefore use only one CPU for gameplay

2)Launch the game and go into the settings menu

2A) Go the sound sound tab and disable "EAX"

2B) Go into the game tab and disable "Compatibility mode" , which is, for some reason, enabled by default

After doing this I've been able to achieve rather stable FPS on low-mid settings (Keep HDR and High-Detailed Sky off, they aren't that necessary for the game to look good) until lots of fighting begins to occur.