New to game-some questions

I have previously played the Combat Mission series, but the graphics were not very good. This game is similar but with great graphics.

Some things I need clarication on:

1. Tank ammo, is there way to select between HE and AP. On the Kursk mission my tanks only have AP. Or do the tanks auto select themselves depending on type of target. How do I get them loaded with HE as well.

2. I can click the gun and ammo icon on and off but not sure what this does.

3. I thought there was a way to get the tank turrent to turn right or left without the tank turning, to get it angled, but I cannot seem to get the turret to move on its own.

4. Spotting is quite hard, I can see enemy fire but the unit remains hidden. Firing units should be spottable.

5. It looks liike no going back to base for resupply when out of ammo, as this actually happened frequently in battle. If not it seems a good ploy to let enemy waste a lot of ammo firing at hard targets, like mortors on tanks, then move forward with infantry when enemy fire dies down.

Thanks for any help.

Tony-Im no great expert but my understanding is that the tank commanders will select the appropriate shells for their target---but you can select the ammo you want yourself in advance----right click in the corner of the window portraying the ammo and you will see all the types of shell available --left click to select the one you want used.

Re turning the turret-- the only way I have found to do this is to aim a "ground-fire" shot in the direction you want turret to point and then stopping the order once barrel is positioned where you want it.

Cheers and good luck

Tony-Im no great expert but my understanding is that the tank commanders will select the appropriate shells for their target---but you can select the ammo you want yourself in advance----right click in the corner of the window portraying the ammo and you will see all the types of shell available --left click to select the one you want used.

Re turning the turret-- the only way I have found to do this is to aim a "ground-fire" shot in the direction you want turret to point and then stopping the order once barrel is positioned where you want it.

Cheers and good luck

Ah yes, I missed the right click, not sure they auto select though.

5. It looks liike no going back to base for resupply when out of ammo, as this actually happened frequently in battle. If not it seems a good ploy to let enemy waste a lot of ammo firing at hard targets, like mortors on tanks, then move forward with infantry when enemy fire dies down.

I made 2 missions for Kursk with a supply vehicule :)

1. Arzok is right. They choose the ammo type themselves of course, for example, HE for soft targets.

2. Selecting a weapon means you tell them to use only it.

3. To turn only the turret, you can select a gunner (man with the target symbol next to him) and then give defend order only to him - he should rotate the target in this direction while the hull should stay (turn the hold mode on before).

4. They are better spottable by infantry in general, but a tank will spot a hidden enemy unit if a gunner looks right at him through his powerful but narrow optics (use the above solution to turn the turret exactly at where you suppose the enemy gun is hidden).

5. You can try that, maybe it would work if you wait for some time and your Sdkfz survives this.

3. To turn only the turret, you can select a gunner (man with the target symbol next to him) and then give defend order only to him - he should rotate the target in this direction while the hull should stay (turn the hold mode on before).

I was just going to ask about that. Turret rotation How-To is something that I think never made into the manual? I believe that if one wants to rotate the hull, without rotating the turret, he has to select the vehicle driver and do the same, right? Because if you select the vehicle and give a rotation order, it's a gamble: either the vehicle hull turns towards the indicated location and then its turret, or it's just turret that rotates. Can't guess why it happens, but it seems that some random function influences the crew decision on what to rotate.

In future releases, some kind of keyboard shortcuts or UI icons for both types of rotation would be really handy, if I may suggest.

It's a complex thing because a tank is not a single-minded entity. Each crew member has his own needs, tasks, view sectors and so on. When you order a fully crewed tank to do something, you order its commander and then he orders his men to drive, rotate turret, etc. and receives feedback. If there are only a couple of men left, a gunner starts bossing around or commander goes to gunner's place. In fact, you can see how spotting and firing capabilities of a tank dwindle as less and less crewmen are available (less viewports are active, each man has more and more tasks).

So in your case with random rotating behaviour it could be there was enemy somewhere in front of the tank so they could decide to keep front armor and bow MG facing it. Or something else, i don't know such inner logic nuances myself (AI routine file tankman.cpp is the biggest of all, 110Kb of code).

I found that some hotkeys are not already set up at the beginning ofthe game, for example and most important, crawl, rotate and dash. I set the keys C, Rand D for these.

By clicking on the tank gun icon then pressing R only the gun will rotate, clicking the gun icon off will rotate the hull only. What I do't know is whether tank angling actually improves the tanks defences in this game.

Otherwise a lot of scouting has to be done from the start, I use a couple of snipers but it is a slow process. Another thing I notice is that if air support is used one or two planes tend to get shot down and I could not see any anti aircraft guns in Cherkasscoe. As a result my points score went down by approx. 1000! Is there any way to minmise this - I had an 88 AA gun on the map too? Otherwise may as well stick to artillery.

What I do't know is whether tank angling actually improves the tanks defences in this game.

Of course it does, every impact is calculated in 3D space.

Aircraft - i don't remember for sure, but i think in this mission Russians can call fighters and attack planes so your aircraft could be shot down by Russian ones. In addition, DShK MGs are AA-capable.

Only the tripod mounted DShK are really AA capable in the game, if I'm not mistaken. The DShK mounted on a wheeled chariot doesn't have the capability to fire at a very high angle.

Tank angle in relation to the gun firing at it is very important in the game. Obviously, if the thicker armored part of the tank are oriented toward the danger, the tank is more protected, but even more so if the angle is not perpendicular to the shot. Depending on the type of ammunition, there is a high probability that the shot will ricochet against the armored plate if the angle is very low.