Help w/ performances

Hi,

long time ago I purchase TOW2 only to find out that it was unplayable (super slow even though my specs were meeting the required ones) with my pc. After a while I updated most of the hardware and recently I've tried to play the game again and soon I've found out... that nothing changed!

To be honest, the game runs much smother, but soon it starts to be clunky. I never went pass the first mission on TOW - Africa because in the middle of it, when there is a bunch of enemy troops everyhing starts to go slow and navigating the map becomes really tedious.

My specs now are:

cpu: intel I7;

video card: ATI RADEON HD5770;

4GB RAM

I don't know... it seems to me that it SHOULD play more or less at a steady and good frame rate... I'm not even playing at the maxium details setting, still the game is plain slow. Now TOW3 is coming up, so it seems that the series should sell good, my question is: do you REALLY need a SUPER computer to run the game at a decend speed togheter with decent graphical detail?

Thanks a lot!

Ricroma

PS: I've purchased the game trought Gamersgate, is there a way to patch it with the last version in case it would help performances?

I think a lot of the performance issues that people see are due to the CPU calculations rather than the graphics. So turning up the graphics options probably won't result in too many problems. When a lot of units are on screen (as they are with some of the campaigns) things can get bogged down quite a bit. I don't know how well the TOW 2 series takes advantage of multi-core CPUs. I'm under the impression that it may do so a little, but possibly not to the extent that some may expect.

If you create some battles with the 'Battle Generator' you may get somewhat different results (since you may be using a few less units). Of course everyone wants to play the campaigns, but it seems that the numbers of units involved slows down just about every computer it has been run on.

Regarding patches... you'll have to use whatever Gamersgate provides since the patches also have to accommodate the particular copy-protection/DRM system that they use within the patch. Our patches (for TOW 2) use eLicense, so they can't be used with your copy without an eLicense license key. The latest Battlefront version is 1.3.0 or 1.3.6 if you have the Centauro expansion (which would require the Battlefront version of the base TOW 2 Africa game though). One other note, the version numbering is NOT directly comparable across different distributions. There are different numbering of patches between Battlefront and Steam (and whatever other 1C Company disributors) for the same game, though the features/fixes may be almost the same.

In Caen, though the recommended specs are much higher than of Kursk it runs fairly well for me. Kursk bogs down sometimes especially in later missions where there are more units on the map and more off map support. Hopefully Korea is more stable than the past games.