A Quick Battle AAR: Shermans vs Pz IVs, Not Your Fathers Combat Mission

True- and I have to admit, I'd much rather slog through our forest, where there aren't any poisonous bugs and snakes- I think that would have been the thing that would have made me freaked out in the jungles, more than the risk of being shot by the enemy!

but what about bigfoot?

True. At least you don't have worry about the wildlife. Any that can really hurt you can be seen and shot. However, in the winter hypothermia becomes a distinct possibility. Still better than horrid diseases, continuous unbearable heat and nasty bugs in my book. I lived in Alaska too. The trees are much smaller but the terrain is worse and the woods swarm with millions of mosquitoes and biting flies (in the summer) and thousands of small muddy gooey pits of water filled moss and peat plus nasty thorn bushes of every description. I would say its a toss up with tropical jungle. Been to Honduras too. Nasty super big death ants and incredible heat.

LOL! Jungle or Arctic- lose limbs to flesh eating fungus or to frostbite?

Minute 11 Part 1

With the loss of the two M4A3’s last turn I think Warren must be rocked back on his heels. The time to start maneuvering against him is now. Still I won’t take many unnecessary chances. I will start moving the Company HQ element up along with 1st Platoon’s Tank 1 to get more guns on where I know his tanks are.

1st Platoon and Company HQ Element

CO HQ I am moving up next to Tank 1, HQ 1 will remain in its hulldown position and continue to cover the area outlined in the map below. I doubt Warren will send anything else that way, but better safe than sorry.

5569226740_23f5ff2fa1_b.jpg

Tank 1

Tank 1 had an exciting turn. At 49:47 he spots the M4A1 tank (Platoon HQ), and at 49:42 he puts a new viewport through the front hull from 507m. I don’t think the crew liked that too much as they un-assed the vehicle PDQ.

In this image you can see that the M4A3(76)W was reversing out of his exposed position (exposed with the loss of the two M4A3s last turn). This is important. I think I can take that as a cue that Warren is no longer going to pursue an advance down AA3 and I can start maneuvering the Company HQ element next turn.

5569226796_790d7f0602_b.jpg

Towards the end of the turn Tank 1 spotted the dreaded M4A3(76)W in the spot where it came to a halt (449m from Tank 1). Tank 1 fired and hit twice, the first bounced off the front hull and the second penetrated. By the end of the turn the Sherman 76 was backing away and popping smoke. Same old dance.

5569226874_224f300acc_b.jpg

Next: Minute 11 part 2 (2nd Platoon)

but what about bigfoot?

LOL! When my dad was in high school, he'd been out late drinking so he wanted to sneak in at my grandparents' dairy without waking anyone. Well, being the Oregon coast, it rains a lot and that night the road up to the house was flooded and he'd make too much noise trying to speed through it, so he decided to just take a nap and try before sunrise.

The area bordered on state forest land and rose up into thick forested hills. Anyway, he dreamed that there was a big full moon rising over the hills and in its light he could see a bigfoot quickly approaching him down the road!

He woke up with his heart racing and glanced up to see a big full moon rising over the hills!

He decided he'd rather get a thrashing from my grandpa than spend a second more out there!

:)

Hearing that story, anytime we'd be camping and I'd hear brush rustling and rocks being knocked off the hillside, I was sure it was a bigfoot and would stay in my tent, even if my bladder was needing emptying!

Thanks for getting us back on topic Bill !!! :D Looks like Capt. is literally between a rock (your HQ section in hull down positions) and a hard place (your 2 Plt.) which will soon have firing solutions on his tracks on AA3.

You've definitely given him a bloody nose and its a sure bet his infantry has spotted your 2nd Plt on his flank. I don't think he will keep trying to push down AA3 but if I were in his position I would pull back circle the wagons and dry to draw you out. I don't know what kind of AT capability his Infantry has but I might try and get an AT team on the left flank of your 2nd Plt.

...I'd much rather slog through our forest, where there aren't any poisonous bugs and snakes...

Just for the record, I feel obliged to report that where I lived there were rattlesnakes, with whom I had multiple close encounters (none of them fatal for either party) and twice encountered scorpions. The scorpions were a surprise; the rattlesnakes were not.

:)

Michael

Do airborne infantry have rifle grenades? In CMAK they could be lethal, over modelled I suspect, like the RPG AT grenade. He does have three Bazooka teams but they should have been moving before now, to get into the woods. The sharp shooter might be annoying and he does have an M-10 lurking, so it's not over till the fat lady stops screaming in agony.

I can't be certain but it looks to me like Capt is moving his Sherman's as singles and not in pairs. The reason why I say this is he hasn't fired a shot in a turn or two. I thought he might get an opportunity to fire when Bill moved his Coy HQ tank to a new position but no joy.

If Capt wants to continue to push forward then he needs to find some good terrain, a hull down ridge or some woods that has good view of the area and keep part of his force in over watch while he maneuvers with another element.

When Bill's tanks fire at the maneuver element then Capt's over-watch should be answering with US steel.

The thick skin Shermans have an advantage but they can't keep taking hits without throwing some punches of their own.

I think it is apposite to return to a point raised in a SF thread, given The Capt's response. Does the 1 to 1 representation of units, each portraying more 'human' animations especially those of suffering, have an emotional effect on players? Seeing Moe Larry and Curly get slowly chopped to pieces was sad because it meant your plan was failing, seeing a far superior depiction of a squad being individually gunned down might take more of an emotional toll on the virtual commander. This in turn might lead to games in which the immersion levels are so high that commanders start to identify with there soldiers plight.

As a wargamer it's a subject I'm fascinated about. Will the suspension of disbelief, created by ever more 'realistic' depictions of human activity, in gaming, start to activate hind brain responses (core functions that could be called primeval), such as love (agape) and it's attendant protective responses? Who here would/could play a wargame that depicted, with frightening realism, the real effects of modern war and if we did, would we have to pay the attendant psychological price?

I think it is apposite to return to a point raised in a SF thread, given The Capt's response. Does the 1 to 1 representation of units, each portraying more 'human' animations especially those of suffering, have an emotional effect on players? Seeing Moe Larry and Curly get slowly chopped to pieces was sad because it meant your plan was failing, seeing a far superior depiction of a squad being individually gunned down might take more of an emotional toll on the virtual commander. This in turn might lead to games in which the immersion levels are so high that commanders start to identify with there soldiers plight.

As a wargamer it's a subject I'm fascinated about. Will the suspension of disbelief, created by ever more 'realistic' depictions of human activity, in gaming, start to activate hind brain responses (core functions that could be called primeval), such as love (agape) and it's attendant protective responses? Who here would/could play a wargame that depicted, with frightening realism, the real effects of modern war and if we did, would we have to pay the attendant psychological price?

With highly realistic depictions of suffering it might happen the first couple of times, but I think most peoples' negative psychological impacts will be largely tempered by the knowledge that Moe, Larry and Curly will be right back in action the next time the scenario starts up again. Kind of like how Kenny dies in every episode of South Park. :D

As for the AAR, I would be interested to see what kind of damage the M4A3(76) has after the penetration in turn 11.

Yes, it's harder to see individuals gunned down. I remember advances in CM1 where I'd have 2 - 3 men out of a platoon take a VL. Thinking about it, it was incredibly unrealistic - those men would, 99% of the time, have been cowering in a shell scrape somewhere. In BN I find I don't push as hard because in RL I wouldn't.

There was a great sequence in the preview I held where some men in a platoon had surrendered. One guy didn't, raised his rifle and was drilled straight through the chest. Everyone there grunted like it was them being shot. OK, partially because it looked great but partially, I feel, because we empathised.

Alan, you could say the same for films, we can just play it again, but sometimes what is being portrayed is so disturbing that we 'suffer'. Hell I know people who cried when Bambie's mother got shot and an ex-WII para, who fought in the Far East, admitted to shedding tears during ET. Just because we can use of intelligence to self-rationalise does not mean we always escape psychological trauma.

Other means I agree, imagine if the screenshots of Capt's M4's being hit were like this

(2:10-3:00)

Alan, you could say the same for films, we can just play it again, but sometimes what is being portrayed is so disturbing that we 'suffer'. Hell I know people who cried when Bambie's mother got shot and an ex-WII para, who fought in the Far East, admitted to shedding tears during ET. Just because we can use of intelligence to self-rationalise does not mean we always escape psychological trauma.

Other means I agree, imagine if the screenshots of Capt's M4's being hit were like this

(2:10-3:00)

Guily of charge number 1 jajajajaja

although I was too young at the time to actually know what was going on.

on this AAR:

deffinatelly pumping me up to play it!!!