The food for your ears?

When I said "American" I guess I meant mostly country/bluegrass/redneck crap.

I do enjoy some Appalachian folk music and some Native American music is interesting.

Yeah, okay, I'm with you on that. Although to be fair, if you go back far enough, say to the '30s and '40s, there is a fair amount of country music that is actually pretty good. And while I am not enthusiastic about bluegrass, I have friends who are and I don't usually give them a hard time about it. I just quietly leave the room when they insist on playing some.

:rolleyes:

Michael

I like country, sometimes....though it seems hard to tell apart from "pop" alot.

That's the problem. When country and pop got into bed forty-some-odd years ago, it was a bad day for both of them. The bastard child has not, for the most part, been a comely one (there are exceptions; there are always exceptions).

Michael

Ibelly dance music...now, that is COOL lol

Hossam Ramzy for... the... win.

not sure I have ever paid that much attention to the music however, is it true that what we see gets more attention than what we hear? :)

Without the music it would be just some scantily-clad Middle Eastern woman undulating and shimmying around. Not that that's not, in certain respects, good enough. =P

In a roughly similar vein (not Middle-Eastern but North-African), I recommend Anouar Brahem, Tunisian master of the oud (which is ancestor as well as cousin of the modern guitar and is regarded in the Middle East as the sultan of musical instruments): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqIZKX4Er7E

Another favorite of mine is the Lebanese multi-instrumentalist Simon Shaheen: (with his group Qantara)

Yeah, okay, I'm with you on that. Although to be fair, if you go back far enough, say to the '30s and '40s, there is a fair amount of country music that is actually pretty good. And while I am not enthusiastic about bluegrass, I have friends who are and I don't usually give them a hard time about it. I just quietly leave the room when they insist on playing some.

:rolleyes:

Michael

Hahaha :D.

My all time favourite CD is H. von Karajan and the Berlin Philharmonic playing baroque and early romantic composers: Bach, Gluck, Mozart, Vivaldi, etc. Chopin (and Mozart) need to be exquisitely interpreted for me to enjoy: nothing sucks harder than badly played Mozart keyboards. Bach is a tough one too, the performer needs intellectual and emotional development, in combination with a mastery of the instrument, to bring out the nuance (somatic effect) of the composition. So I much prefer Barenboim's Chopin Nocturnes (another top CD, and another one engineered by Deutsche Grammophon) to Ashkenazy's, even though Ashkenazy probably has a better "touch" on the instrument. My taste in the modern, or nearly so, is likewise influenced by the gift displayed by the performer - Leonard Cohen, Sting, Johnny Cash, Elvis Costello, Sting, Nina Simone, Kasey Chambers. I'll admit to enjoying Queen (love Freddie's singing) and Frank Zappa (Them or Us is my favourite from him. I have Thing Fish, but I haven't listened to it more than once.)

Whaddaya have against American folk music?

Nothing. Mr. Emrys has probably seen them all live, but for us younger ones: Thanks to one of Greil Marcus' books, I came across the famous Anthology of American Folk Music a couple of years ago. A collection of local folk songs from the early recording era. There's some great weird stuff in there, and some of it never connected to the mainstream.

Similarly, check out Lenny Kaye's Nuggets collection for some cool 60s prepunk garage rock. When it comes to rock music, I'm of the four-chords-is-one-too-many school of thought, and that's where this is at.

Anything by Brian Eno. I've always liked his approach to Music for Airports:

When you went into an airport, they always played this very happy music, which was sort of saying, you're not going to die, there is not going to be an accident, don't worry. And I thought, this was really the wrong way around. I thought it would be much better to have music that said, well, if you die, it doesn't really matter.

Song-writers, if they're any good, I love them all. Dylan, Lou Reed, Tom Waits, Leonard Cohen. His Hallelujah is such a sublime song, and it turns my stomach whenever I hear some soulless wannabe from a casting show butchering this tune. It poses the eternal question of pop music: does it get tainted when the wrong kinds of people people listen to it?

The postpunk band I grew up with is Sonic Youth. I just adore their guitar sound. Rock has been dead for a long time, but that's a worthy afterglow.

Adorno says that concretist enjoyment of music, which leads to expressions like the thread title, is barbaric. But if I'm going to sin, I might as well indulge in the full sensual pleasure. To me, Puccini's sugary melody lines provide that. It's like the guilty joy of eating way too much candy as a child.

It poses the eternal question of pop music: does it get tainted when the wrong kinds of people people listen to it?

When almost anything becomes popular, it becomes diluted. That's why I am in favor of keeping some things obscure until they have had time to mature and become their true selves. Pop music has generally been its best when performers and their audiences have stolen a march on the vendors of the genres: the music industry executives. The latter are strongly disposed to reduce anything and everything to some kind of formula which can then be endlessly reproduced, in the process blanding it all out. The bright moments occur when an artist does something authentic and finds an audience that responds appreciatively. But for every one like that there are a hundred who are reading off the same page as the execs. They too like to follow a formula because it is less risky personally, and besides, it makes it easier to get a contract since they see eye to eye with the execs.

Michael

For me, I mostly like trance and some house when it comes to electronica. Also some lounge type stuff.

See...there's the problem. You actually think this crap is good and I don't. I find it annoying and I think the people who make this type of music are some of the most untalented in the business. The only thing worse than Electronica is that tweeny stuff that someone else posted about which features a teen ager using autotune to hide the fact that she has no voice, singing about stupid stuff only a teenager can relate to.

But just so you don't think that I only listen to 'old' music, I do like some bands today. However, they are few and far between and to compare the talent of today to the talent in music 30 to 40 years ago is laughable. Musicians today (those that aren't puppets of the music industry) have a lot of their time taken up by other things like the Internet. There just isn't the kind of dedication to one's craft like there was before and you can hear it in the songs.

But I don't want to get into a debate about today's music vs. yesteryear so we'll just agree to disagree and get back on topic.

Musicians today (those that aren't puppets of the music industry) have a lot of their time taken up by other things like the Internet.

Yeah man, why are those buggers wasting their time on facebook, when they should be doing coke, knocking up teenagers, and throwing TV sets out of hotel rooms. ;)

Yeah man, why are those buggers wasting their time on facebook, when they should be doing coke, knocking up teenagers, and throwing TV sets out of hotel rooms. ;)

Seemed to have become part of the job description a long time ago, doesn't it? BTW, you neglected to mention utterly destroying luxury hotel rooms and crashing $100,000 automobiles.

Michael