The food for your ears?

Yo. Since I'm fresh from a Sabaton concerto in a small, stinky club near Treviso, I wondered: what's the kind of music that gets you lovable grogs singin', prancin' and whatnot? :D

I know there's bound to be surprises.

"I'm absolutely bat**** insane about japanese jazz!"

"Shut up, Earl Scruggs lives!" "You two crackers can suck it while I blast RUN DMC on my early 1980s boombox!"

I just know it. :P:

Please, no-one post anymore on the rage over Lybia thread I started out of stratospheric frustration and get your butts over to the funky beat of this one.

This includes Michael Emrys, Pak 43, Vanir Ausf B, abneo3sierra, all of you.

And Damian90, of course. What does that dude listen to when he's not engineering tanks? ;)

In a burst of nostalgia a couple of weeks ago I sprang for a copy of The Incredible String Band's The Hangman's Beautiful Daughter. Can't say that I've listened to it a lot though. Last year I got Imogene Heap's Ellipse, which I did listen to a lot. I think she is currently my favorite contemporary musician.

Michael

I am actually one of those who likes just about any music that is done well, I have listened to metal,pop,rap,jazz,club music...depending on the mood, it all sounds good...with metal or rap usually my choice for "wake up, be alert" club music my choice at night to have fun, and jazz music probably my "romantic"choice, since it is the choice of my wife haha.

I don't listen to much of today's "music" if we have to call it that cause most of it sucks.

Usually, I try to discover bands from different eras pre-1990 that I didn't catch the first time around. Right now I'm digging deep into the catalogs of Camel, The Alan Parsons Project, and similar groups.

Right now I'm digging deep into the catalogs of Camel, The Alan Parsons Project, and similar groups.

Then check out Caravan and Kansas. There are a few other groups more or less in that genre that I'll add when I think of them. You might also like King Crimson, though that is starting to veer off in a different direction a little.

Michael

I don't listen to much of today's "music" if we have to call it that cause most of it sucks.

Usually, I try to discover bands from different eras pre-1990 that I didn't catch the first time around. Right now I'm digging deep into the catalogs of Camel, The Alan Parsons Project, and similar groups.

2 Very cool groups...Alan Parsons Project...that brings some memories..

APP...Eye in the Sky........yeah - that was a while ago - many girlfriends!! ;)

These days I mostly just buy music from artists performing at the blues club & other local venues - all sorts - lots of blues, rock, alt-country, a little jazz (although I have a special loathing for "discordant" jazz some other varieties are nice).

Not a "pop" purchaser any more - last non-local CD I bought was Leonard Cohen at his concert

Well let's see... off the top of my head:

Zeppelin, Beatles, Hendrix, Rage Against the Machine, Coldplay, Lisa Gerrard, Godspeed You! Black Emperor, Explosions in the Sky, Mono, Queens of the Stone Age, Nirvana, The Pixies, Sigur Ros, Mogwai, Ratatat, Muse, Flogging Molly, Blink 182, Chopin (every single piece he ever wrote blows my mind), some Tchaikovsky and other random classical pieces, a LOT of classical and flamenco guitar pieces, Irish and Scottish folk music, Cajun, and just most folk music in general (except American) and then a bunch of electronica, indie-rock, and metal groups that none of you have ever heard of :D. The only genres I REALLY REALLY despise to the point where I can't be in the same room with it are country and tweeny pop like the aforementioned Hannah Montana. (I don't mind more "adult" pop like Rihanna or whatever even though she would usually never be my choice when picking something to listen to)

Speaking of tweeny pop here's probably the worst example of it I've ever heard :D... I'm still not quite sure it's not a big parody:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CD2LRROpph0

I hate this attitude. There is plenty of amazing music out today, arguably more then ever before thanks to the internet, it's just that with the slow death of the record labels bands are now just many times selling straight from their website, and many don't even bother with a label. There aren't many "super groups" any more like Led Zeppelin or the Beatles except for stuff like Hannah Montana. But that's just because preteen girls are a lot more easy to "woo" when it comes to music because of peer pressure and because they haven't heard much music period.

Just don't be a lazy ass and get out there and look for it... my suggestion, join a pothead forum, you'll find all kinds of amazing music there because those guys (for obvious reasons) are REALLY into music.

Beatles and Hendrix for sure. Roger on the classical (but not so much Mozart please) and flamenco. Some Irish and Scottish folk music is cool, some isn't, but when it is, it's great. Whaddaya have against American folk music? I like classical Indian music, especially from north India. Indonesian gamelan is also very cool.

Michael

I hate this attitude. There is plenty of amazing music out today...

You could very well be right. Some that I've heard is quite creditable. The problem is that it's become hard for somebody like me to find it. I don't listen to pop on the radio any more because so much of what they play is crap (except for the stations that play classic rock, and they aren't playing new stuff).

It's just by chance usually that I stumble across somebody new that I like and respect. For instance, a few weeks ago I heard something on the sound track of a tv show that caught my ear. A friend helped me track it down and it turned out to be the Black Keys' song "She's Long Gone".

Michael

Beatles and Hendrix for sure. Roger on the classical (but not so much Mozart please) and flamenco. Some Irish and Scottish folk music is cool, some isn't, but when it is, it's great. Whaddaya have against American folk music? I like classical Indian music, especially from north India. Indonesian gamelan is also very cool.

Michael

When I said "American" I guess I meant mostly country/bluegrass/redneck crap.

I do enjoy some Appalachian folk music and some Native American music is interesting.

Well let's see... off the top of my head:

Zeppelin, Beatles, Hendrix, Rage Against the Machine, Coldplay, Lisa Gerrard, Godspeed You! Black Emperor, Explosions in the Sky, Mono, Queens of the Stone Age, Nirvana, The Pixies, Sigur Ros, Mogwai, Ratatat, Muse, Flogging Molly, Blink 182, Chopin (every single piece he ever wrote blows my mind), some Tchaikovsky and other random classical pieces, a LOT of classical and flamenco guitar pieces, Irish and Scottish folk music, Cajun, and just most folk music in general (except American) and then a bunch of electronica, indie-rock, and metal groups that none of you have ever heard of :D. The only genres I REALLY REALLY despise to the point where I can't be in the same room with it are country and tweeny pop like the aforementioned Hannah Montana. (I don't mind more "adult" pop like Rihanna or whatever even though she would usually never be my choice when picking something to listen to)

Speaking of tweeny pop here's probably the worst example of it I've ever heard :D... I'm still not quite sure it's not a big parody:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CD2LRROpph0

That video was seriously...different.. haha

Here's one example from one of my favorite indie-rock bands I discovered recently at grasscity... Cool video to go with it too:

Another great one:

And finally a band that reminds me a lot of the Beatles:

And something a bit more... different (this is the girl who did the singing in Gladiator):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ns8YZAJByDQ

Here's another indie group I really like:

And ya the Black Keys are pretty good, but it feels a bit too derivative of 60/70s stuff for me.

I like these guys for my retro stuff:

That video was seriously...different.. haha

Ya I liked the 12 year old at the wheel especially.

That autotune on that girl's already horrible voice made me want to stick an icepick in my eye. Last night though I was really really blazed and listened to it like 20 times in a row because I just COULD NOT STOP LAUGHING :D.

Hey, I like this topic. I like music a lot. I heard there's actually people who don't. Anyway.

When I go to a club it's psy and goa trance, drum'n'bass or dubstep. Or Finnish style hard NRG. Those are all pretty prominent here, but there is the occasional "gay house" (not entirely sure if this is an official genre) party as well! :D

When talking about electronic music, it feels a bit clunky to use the whole genre term because there's just so many ways you can make it sound. Going to see Infected Mushroom next month. With a girl, mind you.

At home I also listen to classic stuff...It goes all the way from ABBA to Pink Floyd. When I work out it's Hollywood Undead, gangsta rap & epic soundtracks, like Last of the Mohicans. I also feckin' love video game music and chiptunes.

Here are random songs I like:

Infected Mushroom

Some VGM stuff

DnB

Chill

Soundtrack

:)

I use Jaangle to play my music which is free and has some neat bits. There is even a game identifying tunes against the clock. It also does random play and history so I thought I would cut and show what it had picked of my computer.

I do like most types of music - or should I say some tracks from from most genres, The Dave Matthews Band I discovered this week and he shockingly has been around 20 years. There is so much music so little time. I think Air our a great but make me feel sad and I do like up-beat music so Shooenglifty is great.

Even better is bellydance music

here is a more instrumented bellydance number

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Myb7zeNANIg&feature=related

Air have some magical tracks and I found Air through this particular video

http://www.youtube.com/user/Paulikk#p/u/10/kAkutaqf8Ko

It shows when a great song really has legs if others can take it a different but great way.

It is rare that any group/someone turns out a uniformly great catalogue and all the greater if they can. But One hit wonders should not be despised at all. Adding a good song to the worlds store of music is great.

acoustic version

I even like banjo music : ) and mashes

10cc 4Hero ABBA Abdullah Ibrahim Adam Kay & Suman Biswas Afro Celt Sound System Amici Forever Amy Studt Anthony Godwin/Palm Court Theater Orchestra Barbara Carr Barbara Dickson BBE Be Bop Deluxe Benny Benassi pts. The Biz BERLIN - GERSHWIN - PORTER Biyuya Black and White Minstrels Bloodhound Gang Blossom Seeley Blue Asia Blur Bonzo Dog Doo Dah Band Boozoo Bajou British Sea Power Britney Spears Britney Spears vs. Felix Da Housecat Buzzcocks vs. Destiny's Child Cab Calloway And His Cotton Club Orchestra Canteloube Canteloube and others Capercaillie Cardigans Carlos Gardel (1887-1935) Cathy Dennis Charles & Eddie Charles Trénet Charming Music For Playful Cats Cheb Khaled Cheika Rimitti Chesney Hawkes Chinese Choir of King's College Chris Rea Christina Aguilera vs. Ulrich Schnauss City of Prague Phil. Clash,The Classical Music Counting Crows CSR Symphony Orchestra (Bratislava)/Ondrej Lenard Czech Radio Symphony Orchestra Daniel Bedingfield vs. Zero 7 Daniel O'Donnell Danyél Waro (La Reunion) Darius Dave Dean Dave Matthews Band David Sneddon Debbie Harry & Iggy Pop Debussy Deep Dish vs. Bryan Adams Denise Leigh & Jane Gilchrist Destiny's Child vs. Ace Of Base DJ Shadow Djelimady Tounkara Dolly Parton Doris Day Dr. Hook Eddie Cantor Edison Lighthouse Eels Elton John Elvis Presley Eminem Enya Eric Clapton Erik Satie Etta James Faithless Fatman Scoop vs. Kelis Felix Mendelssohn Fine Young Cannibals Floyd Smith With Andy Kirk And His 12 Clouds Of Joy Frank Sinatra Fred Waring & His Pennsylvanians Freddie & the Dreamers Fugazi Gang Of Four vs. Coco Gazebo Geoff Love Singers George Gershwin, Leonard Bernstein, Aaron Copland Girls Aloud Gomez Green Day Green Day vs. Oasis & Travis Gwen Stefani vs. Step Three hands upon black earth Haydn Hayley Westenra Herman's Hermits Jack Emblow Quartet/The Cliff Adams Singers Jam vs. The Beatles James Last Jan & Dean Jason Mraz Jeff Beck Jet Jet vs. Girls Aloud Jethro Tull Jim Reeves John Williams Johnny Cash Josh Wink vs. Coldplay Joy Division Kennedy, Jaz Coleman and the Prague Symphony Orchestra Kid Creole And The Coconuts lajkó félix Led Zeppelin Lesley Garrett Let the Trumpet Sound Lighthouse Family London Symphony Orchestra Louis Armstrong Luciano Pavarotti Lulu vs. The Zombies Madness Madonna vs. Mick Jagger Magnatune Compilation Manic Street Preachers Manu Dibango Manu Dibango (Cameroon) Maria Muldaur Mariah Carey vs. Jamiroquai Maroon 5 Mary Mary - Mash Massive Attack Matthew Wilder MC Hammer Men Without Hats Mgababa Queens Michele Crider, Markella Hatziano, Etc.; Richard Hickox: London Sytmphony Orche Miles Davis Mud Natasha Bedingfield New London Orchestra Nicolaus Esterhazy Sinfonia Night Music Nina Simone Oasis Orchestral Works Organic Grooves Original Cast Otis Rush P J Harvey Peatbog Faeries Pentangle Pet Shop Boys & Superpitcher Philhamonia Orchestra, London; Enrique Bátiz Pilot Pixies Placebo Plummet Prince of Wales Brass Processor Public Image Limited Puccini Pulp QUEEN Red Hot Chili Peppers Restful Music For Contented Cats Romantic Sax Rosen Trio Royal Philharmonic Orchestra - Sir Charles Groves Ry Cooder S Club S Club 7 S Club 8 S Club Juniors S. Piliso & His Super Seven S.O.S. Band vs. Nirvana Salt N' Pepa Feat. En Vogue Scissor Sisters vs. Moby Seal Sheila E vs. Kelis Shirley Bassey Shooglenifty Simon & Garfunkel Simply Red Sir Neville Marriner Slade Sly & the Family Stone Soul Asylum Starship Steely Dan Stereophonics Sting Sting & The Police Suzi Quatro Swing Sisters Tangle Eye Taylor Dayne The Andrews Sisters The B-52's The Beatles The Beta Band The Chemical Brothers The Chieftains The Chiffons The Corrs The Drifters The Earls The Essex The Everly Brothers The Ink Spots The Kinks The Oscar Brandenburg Orchestra The Pasadena Roof Orchestra The Pixies The Platters The Platters & Doo Wop The Prodigy The Radiants The Rolling Stones The Smashing Pumpkins The Songbird Collection The Stranglers The Thrills The Tremaines The Verve The White Stripes The Who Thelonious Monk Tina Turner Tom Petty Tony Christie Trilok Gurtu and the Frikyiwa family Trumpet Voluntary Tryo Tunng U2 Utah Saints Wilson Pickett Winchester Cathedral Choir & David Hill Yin Chengzong / Slovak Radio Symphony Orchestra Yulduz Usmanova (Uzbekistan) Zed Nkabinde Zog Zeki et les Criquets du Dimahi (Côte d'Ivoire)

ZPB

Infected Mushroom I did not like or Machinae Supremacy.

Plejk may take some more listening to, could be interesting.

Ditto Cueto

Nox

Black Angels OK

Late Night Alumni - I liked but probably not great : )

Dead Can Dance - there is a lot of similar which I prefer

Pinback -OK but the video was far more interesting than the music

Mogwai - interesting but a quick listen to some others made me think perhaps samey.

The Morning Benders - liked :)

Not that I expect anyone to like what I like either : )

That list above is for the history for the last couple of weeks - I had to have a new HD and mobo.

I thought it would help if I did some easy links as some of the talent have no videos to see. In reverse order the first is:

Yulduz Usmanova was born December 12, 1963 in Uzbekistan. She is one of the most popular female singers from Uzbekistan. Her father is Uyghur from Kashgar, her mother is Uzbek. She sings in Uzbek, Turkish , Persian and Russian. She has also become famous her neighbouring countries, especially in Iran, Turkey and Kazakhstan.

This is a funkier pop number which I would not bother you with but the vidoe is of roads etc and is actually quite interesting. One thing that does cross my mind is that having lyrics in a foreign langage means you do not have to analyse the message 0 however banal or moving, and secondly that the vidoes can influence you and in terms of objective music appreciation a bad thing :)

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xgvibw_bu-yollar-yulduz-usmanova_people