Will the Rumblings of War tournament (Row) be Returning

I don't see Fionn on that list. ;)

Hence Bil's wink. Bil and I both played Fionn. He was a solid player to be sure but having played Walpurgis and especially Wreck..I am sorry he was not in their division. Fionn would try and shape every game into his favour...normally thru his rules to which he was particularly familiar (Fionn if you are out there and want to dance in CMBN drop me a line).

The beauty of RoW is it was no hold barred-live with what you are given and still come out on top. So if you wound up with a freakin conscript platoon facing Tigers you were judged by how well the rest of the tourney did in the same situation.

Fionn was not comfortable with this and always balked at unfavorable situations and would try to negotiate to absolute distraction to milk every advantage he could gain. Not entirely bad but I having done this military thing for 23 yrs, it is always "play the cards you are given" not "argue about the cards til you get better ones".

RoW was always the best of "play with your deal...stupid!!"

Bil, you gotta jump in if we roll another of these out.

If we decide to do RoW VI, then, as stated before on the CMx1 forum, we will give preference as follows:

-- Multiple previous RoW entrants first;

-- Obviously previous winners will fall in above category, even if they won/played only a singe tourney;

-- Single RoW entrants;

-- having played and finished other tourneys on this + other boards;

-- eager participants that will probably have to write something why we should take you in.

While we never can prevent drop-outs, the above certainly tightens up the issue to some degree given previous experience.

Finding good scenario designers willing to create handywork should not be too difficult, judging by the popularity of previous. I hope.

The Cardinal sin is dropping out/vanishing without trace. Real life suddenly cropping up, of course, excluded.

Even a slow PBEM turn rate can be excused, to some degree.

We vowed never to invite the vanishers again. It's like a credit check: you defaulted without valid excuse means your credit for future invites are zero.

We will again have some on standby list in order, for those that DO drop out with/without excuse. It might be that we run 24x2 or even 24x3 mini tourney within RoW VI to accommodate demand.

Hence Bil's wink. Bil and I both played Fionn. He was a solid player to be sure but having played Walpurgis and especially Wreck..I am sorry he was not in their division. Fionn would try and shape every game into his favour...normally thru his rules to which he was particularly familiar (Fionn if you are out there and want to dance in CMBN drop me a line).

If Fionn answers you, let me know.

Really, I think CMBN is a grossly different game and the best players from CMx1 probably won't be as formidable. It'll be interesting to see.

Bil, you gotta jump in if we roll another of these out.

I'm leaning towards it actually. I would rather play in a QB tourny, but this might be fun. ;)

If we decide to do RoW VI, then, as stated before on the CMx1 forum, we will give preference as follows:

-- Obviously previous winners will fall in above category, even if they won/played only a singe tourney;

-- Single RoW entrants;

-- eager participants that will probably have to write something why we should take you in.

It's like the Masters Golf Tournament, and I assume there are Green Jackets?

-- Single RoW entrants;

This sounds very worthwhile, I'd like to be considered.

There's not a lot I can say to justify my inclusion except :

a) I can do bribes - probably in mead :)

B) Someone has to be the loser. I can do that ;)

I think half of these guys are dead or insane...I am sure there is room for fresh blood.

In case you think this is lightweight...in RoW I we had to submit essays on why we thought we should play and submit AARs on every action.

Well if i am not chosen the organsiers will all get a telephone call like this....

I know who you are. I know what you want. If you are looking for bribe or an essay, I can tell you I don't have money or writing paper. But what I do have are a very particular set of skills; skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you. If you let play now, that'll be the end of it. I will not look for you, I will not pursue you. But if you don't, I will look for you, I will find you, and I will kill you! ;-p

Well if i am not chosen the organsiers will all get a telephone call like this....

I know who you are. I know what you want. If you are looking for bribe or an essay, I can tell you I don't have money or writing paper. But what I do have are a very particular set of skills; skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you. If you let play now, that'll be the end of it. I will not look for you, I will not pursue you. But if you don't, I will look for you, I will find you, and I will kill you! ;-p

I get this almost every other week. Literally. Being a pro football referee has its .... ups. :)

Unfortunately, a tourney is only as good as its number of non-drop outs. So, while you might not get selected initially, people missing the initial selection should not give up - there are quite a lot that filled slots for those that dropped out. Thus, you might become a RoW "drop-in". Don't get despondent if you're not in the first 24, 48, or even 72 selected players.

Again, I tip my hat to Treeburst155, Cpl Carrot and KingFish, as well as the designers. They did sterling work managing such a massive undertaking.

There is the "RoW rulebook/playbook" as some basic/minimum requirements - just gotta find it again :( - but it must be remembered that the ultimate aim is/was to have extreme, tense fun and to test your skills against a PBEM opponent that might become an email friend at least. By and large, I think the RoW tourneys succeeded magnificently in this endeavor, in no small part due to the sporting behaviour displayed, which we did - and do - value as one of the highest unwritten qualities in RoW.

Obviously, with the aid of the Nabla scoring system, where balanced scenarios are not a given or a necessity, you are judged by how others played the exact same unbalanced never-seen-before scenarios. Some nasty nightmares were let loose on the poor PBEM players... probably the only reason why some here still remember the Rumblings of War

I get this almost every other week. Literally. Being a pro football referee has its .... ups. :)

Unfortunately, a tourney is only as good as its number of non-drop outs. Treeburst155, Cpl Carrot and KingFish, as well as the designers, in the past, did sterling work managing such a massive undertaking.

There is the "RoW rulebook/playbook" as some basic/minimum requirements - just gotta find it again :( - but it must be remembered that the ultimate aim is/was to have extreme, tense fun and to test your skills against a PBEM opponent that might become an email friend at least. By and large, I think the RoW tourneys succeeded magnificently in this endeavor, in no small part due to the sporting behaviour displayed, which we did - and do - value as one of the highest unwritten qualities in RoW.

Obviously, with the aid of the Nabla scoring system, where balanced scenarios are not a given or a necessity, you are judged by how others played the exact same unbalanced scenario. Some nasty nightmares were let loose on the poor PBEM players...

I have done a fair bit of refereeing, albeit at Rugby League matches so i know where your coming from lol

As someone mentioned earlier you will need cannon fodder and i will perfect for that.

Rumblings of War VI? Why not? At least some tasted South African wine for the 1st time in their life. Below are the players, again, in good standing from previous RoW tourneys...

76mm/Tom Reiter

Abbott

Ace Pilot

Andreas

Andrew Kulin/Ankulin

Artavash

Beeper

Bertram

Big Dog

Bigdogg944

Bigduke6

BigMac644

Bil Hardenberger

Bimmer

bobm44

Boris Balaban

Brent Pollock

c3k

Capt T

Combined Arms

Cpl Carrot

Cyrano

Dalem

Dandelion

Dangerous Dave

Deadly 88

Denwad

DerBlitzer

Diesel Taylor

Dirtweasle

Elmar Bijlsma

Enigma

Enoch

Fangorn

Flenser

forseti

Frenchy/Steve Dixon

Frunze

George Mc

Green Hornet

GreenAsJade

Grimthane

Heavy Drop

Holien

Hunter

Jarmo

JasonC

Jaws

JeffWilders

Joachim

John Bertles

John D Salt

John L

John O

JonS

JPS

K.A. Miles

Kanonier Reichmann

Kettler

KingFish

Kip Anderson

kump

Lindan

Londoner

Lt Bull

Malakovski

Melnibone

Mick Oz

Mike8g/Marcus Bloss

mPisi

nathangun

NG cavscout

Nidan1

noob

Other Means

Panzer Twat

Peterk

Platehead

RawRecruit

Reanimator

Redwolf

Renaud

Richie

rune

Runyan99

Sandy

Scott B

Scheer

Sergei

Shmavis

Sivodsi

Spanish Bombs

SpineRipper

Sripe

Steve McClaire

SteveS

Stickypix(x)ie

Stoffel

StoneAge

Stryker/Kevin Grande

Tabpub

Ted

The Enigma

The_Capt

tlKillerich

Tom Travisano

Treeburst155

U8led

Victor Charlie

von Lucke

wadepm

Walpurgis Nacht

We Build We Fight

wellsonian

Wreck

WWB

xerxes/Marc S

STANDBY LIST:

1. para

2. Baneman

I think half of these guys are dead or insane...I am sure there is room for fresh blood.

In case you think this is lightweight...in RoW I we had to submit essays on why we thought we should play and submit AARs on every action.

I'm not dead, insane I will not comment on, but I am still drawing breath, so, I would like to be considered when and if the tournament starts up. I am on the list, so my fingers are crossed.

The scenarios in my ROW, which I don't remember much of besides the scenario itself, were really excellent, I look forward to seeing what can be done by the ROW scenario designers with the new engine.

Again, I tip my hat to Treeburst155, Cpl Carrot and KingFish, as well as the designers. They did sterling work managing such a massive undertaking.

Gee Winecape, how is one meant to sink into obscurity when people keep remembering past deeds ;)

Good to see the interest in the fabled RoW is alive and well.