CM:BN Pre-odered

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For Mac owners, would it be better (performance wise) to order the Mac version or get the Win version and run it on bootcamp? Or will the resulting performance be the same?

Windows Pre-Order done.

I 'spose I'll need to order both a Windows and Mac version? I have a Windows desktop and a MacBook Pro for travel.

You guys considering any license deals for that? :-)

Could anyone at BF address these two, please.

Just got my baby ordered yippee $80... How much will actually come out of my account? I'm in the UK we use real money like £'s ;-p

It's currently about £50, but there's almost certainly a charge from your bank/credit card company on top of that.

Still, that's a bargain given the hours/days/weeks/months of gaming time I'll be extracting from the game.

It's currently about £50, but there's almost certainly a charge from your bank/credit card company on top of that.

Still, that's a bargain given the hours/days/weeks/months of gaming time I'll be extracting from the game.

Yeah will be about £50 - £55 i expect. April 22nd i have pencilled in i.e 6 weeks (and so starts the speculation again :D )

This brings to mind a question that was asked several weeks ago (by me IIRC) but I don't recall there being a clear answer. So I'll ask again.

For Mac owners, would it be better (performance wise) to order the Mac version or get the Win version and run it on bootcamp? Or will the resulting performance be the same?

I don't know what BF will have to say about that, but in my experience, Mac games always run slower than windows games on the same hardware, though the difference of course isn't the same for all games. I guess that's partly because Nvidia's and AMD's drivers for Mac OS X aren't on par with their Windows drivers (and haven't been for a long, long time), partly because Apple's OpenGL implementation isn't great to begin with (they still haven't implemented all of the OpenGL 3.0 functions, right?), and partly because game developers have little incentive on spending a lot of time to port a game to a small market, so they're unlikely to optimize them as well as the windows versions....

And that last problem is not just because Apple has a small total marketshare (about 5 % worldwide and 10 % in the US, last I checked, though the install base might be bigger) but also because most of Apple's computers are a pretty bad deal for gaming: iMacs have rather weak graphic cards that can't be upgraded, Mac Pros are expensive dual-Xeon monsters that don't justify their cost for playing games (not to mention their lackluster choice of graphic cards, compared to their huge CPU power), and non of Apple's laptops are great for gaming considering their price (though they have other strong points of course). By the way, I don't know how BattleFront is handling their Mac port, but many games are now ported using tools like Cider (that's the case for many EA titles, for instance), which make the ports easier but at the cost of lower performances. That's also why the performance gap with Windows varies quite a bit from one game to another.

Good question that is in fact already answered on the order page itself. Here's a quote for your convenience:

If you pre-order now, you will:

- save $5 on this "download&mail delivery" bundle vs. ordering it later

- have to pay immediately (your credit card or Paypal account will be charged now, not when the game ships)

- be able to download the game as soon as it is released (you will be notified of its release via email)

- receive the Limited Collector Edition with the metal SteelBook case, printed 200 page manual and DVD via mail when available after release.

- Note! The Limited Collector Edition is, well, limited, and available only for as long as supplies last. We cannot guarantee that all pre-order customers will receive the Limited Collector Edition. Orders will be fulfilled in the order they are received. Should the Limited Collector Edition sell out while pre-orders are still in effect, the hardgoods will be substituted with a disc, DVD case and no printed manual. The sale price will remain unchanged. We will edit this page to reflect the availability of the Limited Edition (see icons at the top right)

Ok, one more question Sir,

I ordered the CE edition this morning, and while I ordered I noticed that the CE edition was available for my order.

But now I checked my account, and there it just says: CMNM preorder, not mentioning that nice CE edition, thus I have no actual prove that I get the Steel box version...

Am I correct? Then I guess I have to trust you guys :)

cheers

SR

SR, we are keeping track of our stock levels throughout pre-orders as soon as we'll get to a low level of stock, we're going to put out a warning for customers that we're running low (it will be on the order page). Once we run out of stock, we will change the order page to display that the SteelBook Edition is out of stock. So you'll know that you don't get it while you're ordering.

Martin

This brings to mind a question that was asked several weeks ago (by me IIRC) but I don't recall there being a clear answer. So I'll ask again.

For me it seems that the performance on the Mac side of my MacBook Pro is about the same as it is on the PC side. Exactly the same? I don't know because the code is constantly changing and I've not been using a Windows build for several months now.

What Glukx Ouglouk said about the Mac video hardware being middle of the road is pretty accurate. So a similar speed PC can be much better if the user has one of the higher end cards plugged in. But that's a similar issue to two PC users having identical PCs but one guy only had the money for a medium quality card and the other bought the highest end card out there.

BTW, we did not use Cider. The port is very stable and plays very well most of the time. However, there definitely are Mac specific memory, input, OpenGL, etc. issues that need to be optimized. Most of that work has been done already, but it's not complete yet. Should be wrapped up very soon though.

Steve

Pre-ordered.

This is going to be a good year game-wise. First the new Il-2, then the new CM! (Although I'm not going to pre-order the new Il-2, because I fully expect it to initially have all the same problems CM:SF had upon release back in 2007. Better wait for the dust to settle.)

Just ordered from France. It's 6 pm here and I was about to leave the office when I casually checked Battlefront website... could not believe what I saw !

Those 80 bucks (overseas p&p included) will punch a hole in my bank account, but I don't care.

You know what ? I'm happy :-)

God speed to you all, you deserve it !