Missing PBEM Files

When I download the eMail files for my PBEM game, I download them and they disappear. They do not appear in the PBEM folder even when I choose that as the destination folder. In fact, the PBEM folder was not created when I first installed the game.

They can be chosen when I am within the game but when I save my game they disappear again and they cannot be found or attached to my return email.

The game also is a little unstable. When I save a turn, the save box is not drawn correctly or fully.

Is there anything that would solve these problems.

Windows 7 (32 bit)

AMD Athlon 64 X2 TK-57

Radeon X1200

CMBB (SE)

When I download the eMail files for my PBEM game, I download them and they disappear. They do not appear in the PBEM folder even when I choose that as the destination folder. In fact, the PBEM folder was not created when I first installed the game.

They can be chosen when I am within the game but when I save my game they disappear again and they cannot be found or attached to my return email.

The game also is a little unstable. When I save a turn, the save box is not drawn correctly or fully.

Is there anything that would solve these problems.

Windows 7 (32 bit)

AMD Athlon 64 X2 TK-57

Radeon X1200

CMBB (SE)

Are you using an administrator account or a regular? Did you install CM in place where special access right are required?

To clarify a bit further what has been said...

Windows Vista and Windows 7 have an additional security feature called User Account Control (UAC) that, among one of its security features, likes to prevent writes to the '\Program Files' directory (and other directories). Instead it redirects writes to the hidden 'VirtualStore' directory that is supposed to seemlessly work with programs... until you go hunting for the file manually.

To find your PBEMs you'll need to open the Windows Explorer File Manager and go to the 'Organize' menu > 'Folder and search options' > 'View' tab > in the 'Advance settings' section click the radio-button selection for 'Show hidden files, folders, and drives'. Also UN-checkmark the selection for 'Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)'. You should now be able to see the hidden folders and files.

The 'VirtualStore' directory that will have you PBEM files should be located at:

'\Users\{your account name}\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\Battlefront\Combat Mission Afrika Korps\PBEM'

To prevent files from being written to the VirtualStore and instead have them directly write to the original '\Program Files' directory launch CMSF by right-clicking on the launch icon and selecting "Run as administrator" from the popup menu. You can also modify the shortcut to do this for you by right-clicking on it and selecting 'Properties'. In here go to the 'Compatibility' tab and at the bottom of this tab is a section labeled 'Privilege Level'. Checkmark the box next to the text that says "Run this program as an administrator". Click 'Apply' and then 'OK'.

To clarify a bit further what has been said...

Windows Vista and Windows 7 have an additional security feature called User Account Control (UAC) that, among one of its security features, likes to prevent writes to the '\Program Files' directory (and other directories). Instead it redirects writes to the hidden 'VirtualStore' directory that is supposed to seemlessly work with programs... until you go hunting for the file manually.

To find your PBEMs you'll need to open the Windows Explorer File Manager and go to the 'Organize' menu > 'Folder and search options' > 'View' tab > in the 'Advance settings' section click the radio-button selection for 'Show hidden files, folders, and drives'. Also UN-checkmark the selection for 'Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)'. You should now be able to see the hidden folders and files.

The 'VirtualStore' directory that will have you PBEM files should be located at:

'\Users\{your account name}\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\Battlefront\Combat Mission Afrika Korps\PBEM'

To prevent files from being written to the VirtualStore and instead have them directly write to the original '\Program Files' directory launch CMSF by right-clicking on the launch icon and selecting "Run as administrator" from the popup menu. You can also modify the shortcut to do this for you by right-clicking on it and selecting 'Properties'. In here go to the 'Compatibility' tab and at the bottom of this tab is a section labeled 'Privilege Level'. Checkmark the box next to the text that says "Run this program as an administrator". Click 'Apply' and then 'OK'.

Alternatively you can right click the PBEM folder itself and give you (the normal user) write privileges to that folder.