Totally new to CM, how does one deal with the effects of negative moral?

The short answer is yes to both but morale will never fully recover during the time limit the battles are fought over, the unit will always be fragile under fire once it's morale has collapsed once.

As for getting tired a rest for a couple of turns is usually enough for them to recover most of there fitness again.

I am sure others will give you a more detailed answer but this is how I think it works.

There's couple of separate things. First is the unit's attributes, or modifiers. A unit with +1 morale modifier will panic less easily than a unit with a -1 modifier. This is their natural state, and you can't change it to either direction. Keeping them in contact with their HQ can help with the morale, though.

Then there's the current status. A unit that is fatigued can rest and get their stamina back. The same with morale. Once a unit has hit the rock bottom with their morale, they will remain shaken for the rest of the game and will easily panic again, though.

As Sergei saysbeing in command control distance can help, particularly if the officer concerned has a good leadership ratinProbably is a good idea to withdraw the unit to a safe location outside LOS fron the enemy if they are in condition to recieve orders. This is why it is a good idea to pull a fragile unit backfor a break before they get too badly beaten up. This can be easier said than done as there are obviously situations where fire shock is an issue and the unit panics very quickly.

Luke

What are your strageties of bringing a stunned or panicked unit "back into action"?

Keep them near their leader, in a covered place where they aren't taking fire, and then wait. Most importantly don't try to push them into a fight until they've recovered. That's all you can do really.

These things are intentionally somewhat ambiguous.

Offtopic, but this reminded me of the best CM player I have met, faustius (or something like that) over at the CMHQ chat room. He had studied the engine extensively and remembered all the numbers. He knew exactly where he needed to drive a tank in order for it to have LOS to this unit here etc...It was always a horrible slaughter to face him, my only victory against him involved an extremely cheesy Sherman after which he demanded rematches but I was too exhausted to face his might! I regret that know, not knowing where the old CMHQ beards have scattered.

If I remember right, he was a conductor and had lived in NY(?) and just moved to Montana or somesuch place in the middle of nowhere. Drop me a not if you ever see this faust! :D