Command Squads

If you look closely, you can see a "command radius" from the leader in any infantry formation, not just the command squads. What I have not seen yet, is an example of a soldier/team/squad "breaking" from morale effects, and I've had my soldiers do some pretty brazen acts. Yes I do have the morale box checked.

If you look closely, you can see a "command radius" from the leader in any infantry formation, not just the command squads. What I have not seen yet, is an example of a soldier/team/squad "breaking" from morale effects, and I've had my soldiers do some pretty brazen acts. Yes I do have the morale box checked.

Yes, I have seen the "command radius". What I have been unable to ascertain is if the presence of a command squad adds any value to any squads/weapon teams in close proximity to it. There is no reference in the manual to it and I have found no advantages to the command squad's presence in the scenarios I have created myself.

Sneaksie - any information?

Will there be any upgrade to the command squad's attributes in TOW3-Korea?

The command squad and leaders are really usefull in my opinion. As long as the leader is alive, all squads in command radius have a bonus to their morale. To make a test and see for yourself, have a few individual soldiers with normal to low morale (not a veteran, nor a scout, as theses can usually operate pretty well on their own), and have theses soldiers crawl and hide near an ennemy tank. After a while, without leaders in the vicinity, they'll start panicking and will get out of the area, even if they've not been detected nor attacked. If these same troopers are inside the zone of influence of a leader, they'll not panic so easily, and will even keep their wits long enough to throw an AT grenade at the tank.

Most troops will usually not panic, if there is a leader alive in the vicinity. If the leader is dead, they'll loose the bonus to their morale, but even worse, they'll suffer a penalty on it for a while, making them even more prone to run away.

The factors lowering morale:

-seing friends been killed

-presence of ennemy soldiers in the vicinity (the more ennemies, the more they've a chance to rout)

-presence of ennemy armored vehicles in close range

-being under fire

The more experienced troops will be very hard to frighten, so it really takes a lot to start seing them refusing to obey orders and trying to run away.

The less experienced troops are also hard to rout, as long as they have their leaders, and as long as they've friends around them.

Russian command squads are also usefull in their own, as they've two sharshooters amongst their members, that once they've survived a few battles can gain enough experience to be very useful sniping at the enemmy leaders and machinegunners.

In TOW2 Africa, it was a major challenge just to keep American units from suppression and panic at the first shot -- the command units seemed to help a bit (but in that campaign the leaders were as green as their troops). Appropriate that the Soviets in Kursk should be more battle hardened and slower to panic.