Do combat engineers detect and defuse land mines?

d0mo

.... or are the only ways of getting rid of anti-personel mines by either firing artillery into a mined area or letting some poor fellow step on them?

Couldn't find it in the manual, hence the question here!

Cheers,

d0mbo.

PS. Where can I change my nickname?

I've tried both, guiding engineers through a minefield and shelling the hell out of that area. The result was several dead engineers and one blown up tank. So, according to my experience - no, you can't.

The only way to do this is to drive your tank through the minefield and pray the exploding mines won't damage or destroy it. If they do not, then you'll have a safe, narrow passage for your troops to advance.

So even my two supposed ways of clearing mines aren't really ways to do it.

Re: combat engineers. THen i really wonder if they have a special ability. They seem generally well trained so it doesnt hurt to use them as infantry.

They does not seems to have more use than any other troops for mine clearing. Anyone with a high scouting skill, and moving at a crawl in a minefield might have a better chance of survival, but high losses are to be expected, so the best thing to do would be to keep out of the mined areas.

I remember I've read something about being really able to use engineers in ToW Korea (might have been on 1C russian site) to emplace/defuse mines, although I don't know if this as been implemented or not.

.... or are the only ways of getting rid of anti-personel mines by either firing artillery into a mined area or letting some poor fellow step on them?

Couldn't find it in the manual, hence the question here!

Cheers,

d0mbo.

PS. Where can I change my nickname?

Well this is a bit of a spoiler and if I am wrong someone please correct me but I believe mines are set up as a scripted rectangle patch of land on a map in the editor. The kill area is this rectangle and the chance of getting exploded is based on a percent chance. So its not a real individual mine its an abstraction. So bombing the crap out of the minefield won't make a difference.

Clearing a minefield could easily be scripted, I could even do this, if a certain unit enters a minefield and stays there for a certain period of time the minefield could disappear. Maybe this is in the game already so again correct me if I have this wrong.

Yes, the minefields are an abstraction exactly as Nic described (I created one for my El Guettar map in TOW2 Africa). But, if it's any consolation -- in the time frame represented by the battles in this game, there wouldn't have been time to really clear minefields, so attacking units would most likely blunder into them or, once the mines were detected, try to skirt them. Any well-planned minefield is always covered by lots of MGs, mortars and maybe even artillery, so they serve to channel the attacker into other areas.