NATO Ambush at Dashkur bugged?

Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum.

Yesterday I've bought this game (all modules) and installed them over the Paradox retail edition. After playing the training campaign and some quick battles I randomly chose NATO Ambush at Dashkur as my first real battle.

I was then mighty pissed when after a few 2 or 3 tries in that mission I made it 30 minutes into the game and it suddenly froze...

I tried everything, reloading, creating a new save file, saving again. At one point I couldn't get the save game much farther as the game froze after about 5 seconds without any error message.

Well so I started all over again, but after 30 minutes the EXACT same thing happened. There is no exact point when the game freezes, but I noticed that it only happens after I move some of my MRTVs out of cover to provide support. Since it happened twice I assume theres a problem with the scenario and not a random bug?

I have Vista 32 bit,

ATI 3800 series with Catalyst 10.7

I play in real-time

I'm not aware of bugs within scenarios that would cause a lockup. Usually when there are problems with scenario data (original game or a save game), the game stops loading with either an 'out of memory' error or just simply crashes to the desktop without an error.

Your Catalyst driver is also a version that is beyond the 9.4 to 9.9 versions that locked up CMSF within 5 - 20 minutes of running the game. The Catalyst 10.2 driver would not even let CMSF run, but I'm not aware of any other problems with the Catalysts after that. You could potentially update your video drivers to see if that helps in any manner.

Have you tried to play anything else such as a Quick Battle to see if you get similar behavior from the game ? If you play the same scenario, but either don't move the MRTVs or move them earlier, does the scenario crash ?

Very interesting thing, I just tried it out. I started a suicidal attack on the town over the bridge right after my reinforcements arrived (which I was hestitant to do earlier for obvious reasons) and guess what: Within less than 3 minutes after their arrival the game crashed. The platoon arrived at about 55:00 and the game crashed at 52:03. The same platoon I would normally dismount at have advance on foot without anything happening. And again, normally I would not move my mobile element before 30:00 and the game never crashed before I did that step. The training campaign went on like a charme right to the end. Can anyone who has played that battle confirm this to me?

I will try reinstalling the game and the modules, I remember I strangely had to do some file shifting before some campaigns at the NATO scenarios showed up in my game. I'll also try updating my driver to 11.1

No not really, I installed my Paradox retail version, applied the all-in-one module file, installed 1.31 from the Battlefront homepage. I changed from German to English language and shifted some files from the German language folder I think, because not every scenario and campaign showed up.

edit: I have now reinstalled the game, but the CTD still occours in every newly started game (in that specific scenario). As soon as I expose one my platoons in their MRTVs to pretty much LOS from every possible enemy position something goes wrong and the game crashes. Could it be that there is "too much going on" for my PC to handle or something like that? But it's not like I have a super outdated machine at all. I've set everything to either Balanced or Improved.

No, I don't believe that the CPU is getting overloaded to the point that the game crashes (at least I don't believe that is what is happening). However I don't really have an answer as to what is happening here. I don't think anyone else has experienced problems specifically with the MRTVs in a scenario and I don't know why a specific scenario would have a problem with such units.

Looking at the 'NATO Ambush at Darkush' scenario in the Editor, unlesss I'm mistaken, I'm not seeing any 'MRTV' trucks. I just see Canadian Nyalas and G-Wagons. Do you actually have MRTVs in your scenario ? I changed the game language to German and the German scenario didn't seem to have any MRTVs either.

I try this scenario using the same method, and the game does freeze, does not crash to desktop, just freezes. As an experiment then, have left it on, and it continues after some minutes with time compression rates along the 9 second range. This also seems to me to be something overworking the cpu.. I have Windows XP, nothing fancy, 2GB RAM 2.99MHz.

256 MB video RAM.

The reason for my conclusion of what seems to be causing the problem, is that I have encountered this before on my own, trying to see how large of a scenario I could make, and with basically a regiment on each side, it went well, but once things were moving and shells flying, the exact same thing happened.

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...