T-90 Usage

I just played a QB with a force of 1 PLT t-90, regular crew vs 1 US Engineer platoon and 1 US Mech Inf platoon mounted on bradleys with clear skies at dusk. I've never fiddled around with a t-90 and wrongly assumed that they were more the less equivalent to low quality BLUEFOR tanks. Well my poor tankers paid dearly for this overconfidence and I lost 2/3 of my tanks while destroying 6 Bradleys. This brings up a few questions.

1) My T-90's didn't seem able to pick up the bradleys as quick as they themselves were spotted by the bradleys. To my understanding this fictional export variant is equipped with very decent night vision optics. The terrain was fairly flat and my t-90's were partial hull down with good LOS on the approach avenue's of the Bradleys. Is my thought that the T-90's night vision optics are pretty dang good wrong? Or was it perhaps just bad luck on my part?

2) Since I don't often play as the Syrians I'm curious to see how other players use the T-90. I tried keeping them in cover with good LOS, and while it partially worked it didn't work as well as I anticipated. It didn't help that there were no boots on the ground spotting enemy targets for me, but I thought my positions were good enough to find and destroy the enemy without exposing myself to much.

Thanks in advance

I use the T90 like I use any Syrian tank, as an ambush predator. You can't duel anything in those, since while they can dish it out, they can't take it as well as the M1 or Chally2. If I do fire at long range, I get off MAYBE two rounds before moving to a new position. I try to keep one in position to cover it's friends when they relocate. The T90 is a good tank if used correctly. The Blue forces are dangerous to any armor. Once you've exposed yourself your time is limited, so you must be sure that the moment you do so is the same moment you are in position to deliver a devastating attack.

T-90 is based on the same doctrines that was behind the T-55, T-72 and on it goes. They're meant to be used in large quantities which is something that the Syrians don't have.

The Iraqi tactic of using them in static ambush positions can work for a CMSF scenario but you're screwed if BLUEFOR has airpower.

They're great against Bradlys and other IFVs if you mix them up with BMPs or in broken terrain with trees. Smoke and heightcurves are your friend against Blue MBTs. I've found that on flat maps you're in trouble but the T-90 has great maneuverability and it will kill any Blue MBT if you can get around the flanks.

So your options basically are:

1) Keep them concealed and spread out, wait for the enemy to maneuver and hit him in the flank.

2) Use the tanks only against isolated targets or against targets that are busy engaging other units (RPGs can play cat and mouse with Abrahams and enable a T-90 killshot).

3) Keep them moving in tight packs behind your lines to begin with, stick to the low ground (overwatch will get them killed). When you've bound the enemy with inf and mech, use their speed and the terrain to drive straight through the enemy lines and hit their armor from side or rear.

By your location, you are probably Army..so HOOAH!

Yessir, I've been here for about a mounth as a PL for the 5th Engineers.

I just tried another QB with t-90's and I tried to take everyone's advice into consideration. I found that spreading out my tanks worked better than bunching them up. I still seemed to have an issue of spotting enemy armor such as Bradleys and Abrams though. Perhaps my assumption that it was random bad luck is wrong. Anyway, thanks everyone for their responses it seemed to has helped a lot. I think I'll enjoy playing as the Syrians a bit more now that I've experimented with different tactics regarding them.

Yes, M2A3, M3A3 and M7 got 2nd generation FLIR TIS, same M1A1SA, M1A1FEP and M1A2SEP, and with 50x zoom they can pick up in thermals targets at very long range in complete darkness, T-90 don't have anything close to that.

Other thing is with M1A1HC and M1A2 as they got older TIS with less capabilities.