A quest for tabletop wargames

Pešadija

Yes, there's quite nothing like standing over your deployed little peons on the table, and squarely facing a flesh adversary. :D

Even though, for most games, since a don't have a bajillion Euros to throw away, I regularly stand over an army of paper bases with names written on them, in the miniature-heavy stuff like, let's say, warhammer.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A new game dealing with air combat that is really fun is DVG’s (Dan Verssen Games) “Hornet Leader: Carrier Air Operations”. It is really quite fun!

That's for Squids. Real men play Phantom Leader, also by DVG. I also note that a remake of Thunderbolt/Apache Leader is now on DVG's version of a P500.

Pesadija,

Recommend you avoid AH's MBT like the plague. It was apparently designed by someone with zero awareness of the true armor/antiarmor balance in the late 1980s. Bluntly put, they could eat us alive, but we couldn't do much to them, which is why we spent billions on both armor and weapons to catch up. Hellfire was still considered useful, and Maverick was unstoppable if it hit, but everything smaller, such as TOW, Dragon and the LAW, required either outright replacement or major rework. In MBT, a T-80 at point blank range can't get a frontal penetration on a vanilla 105 mm gunned M1. I was in the business, at Hughes Missile Systems Group, as a professional threat analyst, and was reading in both open and classified sources how badly outmatched we were. A little digging over at CMSF will find long discussions of these issues by me. You won't find this reflected in MBT, and AH was not receptive to a critique I sent in. I recommend the GDW? Assault series instead, to include the fascinating Suvorov module. Red Star/White Star is fun, but bear in mind it's rigged. Developer Jim Dunnigan says the Army made SPI remove both brush and water obstacles from the map, things which would otherwise have greatly degraded wire guided ATGM utility by either breaking or shorting the wires. BTW, the actual location is Ft. Leavenworth , Kansas. Mech War 77 is great and lots of fun to play, but Mech War 85 is nothing short of daunting, with two thick rule books, one for the system, the other for the game. Lots of tiny print! We tried it and gave up in despair.

Regards,

John Kettler

Thanks for the advice, but mostly I got up by the varied and complicated Armor 1950-1985 from that british wargame website proposed here earlier. It's varied, but obsolete! And I can't find the update, Armor 1950-2000 nowhere!

Thamks for your kind threat analyst wargaming advice. I'll check Mech War, I like thick rulebooks, if they are thick because of completeness but you need little of them for small test games.

Where do you live Pešadija? I also love the old wargames with hexes lol..but it gets difficult to find opponents for them. Have you ever tried the HPS Simulations Aide de Camp 2 game? Helps alot of these old games survive by allowing you to play them on the computer. I won't link it here,but the site for it includes alot of these games mentioned.

Live in northern Italy

Nope, I haven't played anything! That's why this thread started. Only tabletop wargame I did is warhammer in all its incarnations (fantasy, 40k, and lately the not at all bad historical). And since computers, for all their positive traits, have limits, I wanted to experiment. I showed the friend I played against in CM:SF in hotseat the british wargame, he says he might try.

hmm, it is not a PBEM, though it does make that easier also I guess.. It is basically just something to input any other board game onto the computer. Most of the time you would log on as one player, play that turn, then the other person log on..sort of hot seat I guess. I am not really a fan of hotseat, either, but for me it became practical because with a family, it is difficult to keep a game out for a whole day without getting messed up, and most of the games I prefer are the more complex ones, ie. ones that do take some time.

Haha, yeah.. I did not much like the rules, after awhile...did use them to give me a start position for probably 20 games I basically created from their rubble though...thinking back, I am not so sure that I deleted any rules though, mostly I just added on... I was kind of in the ASL type of mode, and wanted more and more complexity, so micro was not that complex, by the time I finished, mine was lol.

Ah, and strudels with apple are just the greatest.

I would heartily recommend that ADC2 software then..it makes it alot easier, no worry of spilled game,and you can pause it and come back to finish it later.

I would HIGHLY recommend VASSAL over ADC2. Vassal is free, looks _much_ better, easier to program, easier to play, and runs on both PC's and Mac's. Vassal is java based and there probably a million games converted to it by now... see it and the modules for it at http://www.vassalengine.org/

Vassal also allows both PBEM and online/live play. Not to mention it there are several solitaire games converted to it, for those who can't leave the big games out on the table for weeks anymore.