Colored Casualty text mod

I would like to make a colored text mod like in the pic where the word "Casualty" comes up in red instead or green. I rigged up a Lazyboy for PC gaming, and am sitting back too far to read the type. This will help in that I will not have to read, but will still know how many casualties easily from further away. If anyone knows if this is possible, and which file I would have to access to do this I would appreciate it.

coloredtext.jpg

But is a great idea, would be great to see how and what your squad is doing at a easier glance. Could even take it a step further with yellow text to indicate injury and maybe white to indicate cowering. Maybe another color to indicate hiding. Wonder if this has been brought up before and what the word is on this UI tweak.

Nice idea with the Lazyboy, here is your next step: :D

crack.jpg

Actually, it would be great if WIA/KIA actually showed up in the visual on the bottom right in red. The text info on the left of the screen I find to be rarely useful and as pointed out, since they're all the same color, I rarely even notice that there is a casualty from the text.

I think Erwin's idea is the best for keeping track of casualties. While soldier is casualty, and still on the map the weapon icon should go red. Once the soldier vanishes from the map maybe the red weapon icon could remain, but go faded/dulled as to keep a tally of who is gone from that squad. This also sounds like something that could not be modded, but would have to be implemented by BF. I will make a mock thumbnail graphic also showing another situational awarness aid I believe would help which is showing what floor a squad is on ala Cmx1. I think these are are good, practical ideas for getting more important info to the player at a GLANCE.

Nice Lazyboy, but here is my set up when I want to play. I slide the chair over, and slip on a mouse tray for the arm that I made which really makes it work out the way it needs to. Smooth surface to slide mouse, with a slight raise lip so it does not slide off on to the floor. The Nostromo speedpad is the finishing touch for efficient, and comfortable control.

cockpit016.jpg

If the type on the side cannot be color coded, then perhaps the green text can be manipulated? Changing the green word "Casualty" to bold type would make it stand out more. Even having a space with an exlamation point after the word may be enough to distinguish from a distance "Casualty ! ". If the file is a type file, and accessable shouldn't that be possible?

If the type on the side cannot be color coded, then perhaps the green text can be manipulated? Changing the green word "Casualty" to bold type would make it stand out more. Even having a space with an exlamation point after the word may be enough to distinguish from a distance "Casualty ! ". If the file is a type file, and accessable shouldn't that be possible?

Yeah the text is accessible, but I think that all the letters are common. So if you bold some of them, they will be bold everywhere, not just in the word "casualty".

I think Erwin's suggestion is better than the colored text idea, and sounds more feasible, but it sounds like something BF would have to do as it probably cannot be done in a mod. Plenty of times I have had a casualty, and did not notice it right away. The colored weapon icon would be much more noticable. When the casualty is removed from the map the red weapon icon would disappear as is now, or perhaps remain in a “ghosted” look, but moved to the bottom of the team column to keep track of who has been lost in the squad.

Along with better casualty reporting to the player at a glance I would like to see another feature from CMx1 be added which is the location indicator. I find knowing which floor a squad is in at a glance a bit more challenging depending on camera view. Many times I must change camera views, and zoom in to find out especially when multiple squads are in a large multistory building. This is also true for passenger status without zooming in. From a far it is hard to tell from the icons if a squad is a passenger, or dismounted right next to the vehicle.

Both of these enhancement ideas give the player important information at a GLANCE, and improve the players situational awareness, and I hope BF considers these enhancements.

Normal dude which file would one unpack to access the type file? In the meantime I am going to add an explanation point “Casualty !” to the word to see if visually that helps it stand out, and be more noticeable. Thank you.

loacationcasualty.jpg

Another helpful aspect of showing the weapon icons in red would be that the player would know at a GLANCE what weapon is down, and what has priority to retrieve. Thinking to the recent DAAR for CMBN when Jon's decided to risk doing some medic aid to retrieve a BAR. If the casualty had had a rifle he would not have risked going after it he said. To know what casualty had what weapon a player must zoom in and identify the 3D model. With this system one could put the cursor over the BAR red casualty, and the red casualty base of that soldier would flicker giving the player the precise info one wants at a GLANCE for a cas sitrep.

Vein, thanks for the response. Not locating that file. What root file does one unpack to get to that file? Data folder/??. I like the crosses, and want to add. Another smart thing in your bases mod is the point on the circle to make it easier to see which way each soldier is facing. I am using the base icons mod which uses pointed chevrons, and find the pointed shape much more helpful, and sensible. I would like to try the rings with the points you have there. I am sure many would like to use your mod with the crosses added to type, and your base mod. Any chance you could post it in the repository? I am sure many would appreciate that. These types of mods are so much better than what the base game comes with. They really do aid the player beyond just looks.

Already using the "Casualty Cross" mod and it's really helpful to see at a glance who got hit. BFC should get your permission to make this standard.

Totally agree! Thanks Vein for uploading! With the mod, one can cycle through the units very fast while just looking at the text and you spot casualties much faster seeing the symbol because you do not have to read. The mind recognizes color, and symbol associations faster than reading. This is a proven fact since when reading one goes through the subconscious vocalization of the word.

This is good, but colored text would be better. The ultimate would be colored text for other important text, with the best thing being the red colored weapons showing what weapon is down as I have illustrated.

Vein, I tried the base mod, and although I find the pointed chevron shape the most practical & easier to use personally, your base mod would probably appeal to those who prefer very subtle bases, and playing at closer camera views. Thanks again, just wish I knew how you added the cross? I played around with trying to add some other symbols with no success. No biggie, since casualty is the most important word to stand out. I will probably add a cross, or a + sign to “Medic” since that, and “Casualty” are related.

Yeah the bases are subtle. Not for the people who like to play from above all the time. But I like to get in there with the troops and find that for my tastes the less obtrusive the (necessary) feedback the better. And with the casualty text added on there I find I use the text info more than the base info.

Furthering the idea of symbols to represent actions at a glance here is a mod I made that animates the text, and really makes deciphering the actions quicker for the mind at a glance. You do not need to read text. More important info is noted by symbols that differentiate it from other text. This really helps livens the text up, and makes it more functional. Looks animated during action. Here are the changes I made given the limitations of manipulating the text. Check it out I think you will like how it gives you individual actions of each soldier a bit quicker at a glance.

Leaders in caps with asterisk

***COMMANDER***

**LEADER**

*TEAM LEADER*

ENGAGING:

Aiming (*^*)

Firing (--------

Cowering ( OH **** !! )

Grenade @

ACTIONS:

Hiding (???)

Medic (+)

Deploying (D)

Packing Up (UP)

Casualty († MAN DOWN † )

//////// (The word “moving” is removed, and replaced with this slashes symbol)

Vin's animated text.zip

Yeah, the box is a little bigger, but I think the trade off is worth it untill something better comes along. You get a much quicker overview of what is going on with a squad especially from distant camera views. When a squad is laying down lots of fire it reminds me of a graphic equalizer. Glad you like it, and it can be changed to ones preference by just unpacking it, changing it, then repack.