Using Battalion/Company HQ’s, and XO’s in CMBN?

In Cmx1 if a squad, or team was out of command radius of its own HQ, but within the command radius of a higher HQ like the Company HQ the squad would then fall under command of the Company HQ. Is this the case in CMBM? I liked this feature in Cmx1 as it allowed a more flexable command structure, and would find this more realistic. In Cmx1 any HQ could command teams, guns that were within their C2. Where is CMBN in regards to this? Can the developers shed some light as to how they would advice players to use these higher HQ units in the game?

In Cmx1 if a squad, or team was out of command radius of its own HQ, but within the command radius of a higher HQ like the Company HQ the squad would then fall under command of the Company HQ. Is this the case in CMBM? I liked this feature in Cmx1 as it allowed a more flexable command structure, and would find this more realistic. In Cmx1 any HQ could command teams, guns that were within their C2. Where is CMBN in regards to this? Can the developers shed some light as to how they would advice players to use these higher HQ units in the game?

The system has changed. Each unit now has an indicator showing whether its in contact with its direct superiors and the superior higher up. I do not know about changing the structure on the fly.

CMX2 uses a far more sophisticated C2 model, different forms of communication are directly simulated. Can they hear see their commander, can they hear, do they have a working radio. So there are lot of subtle things going on. It may be possible for a unit to be in command, on some level, one turn and out the next due to smoke for instance.

CMSF glosses over some of this, especially playing blue, since it simulates the trillion dollars worth of equipment the U.S. and NATO have bought in the last thirty years to keep troops in communication.

If a late model Abrams has no C2 links left its probably so beat up as to be combat ineffective anyway, with half the equipment showing red.

In thinking how the C2 is set up now in Cmx2 perhaps a new admin command called “Assign”, which transfers a squad, or team to a Btln/Co./XO HQ would allow for a more flexible direct C2 in how the game is now compared to Cmx1. IMO I think this adds more realism, and gives the player more use for HQ’s. For example it would not make sense in reality if a squad was out of C2 with it’s platoon HQ, or if it’s HQ is dead, but standing right next to the Co. HQ, and not have the Company Commander not being able to ‘command” that squad. A player would select this “Assign” admin command and click on the HQ unit adding that squad/team as one of the units showing in command. This would allow more of an adhoc ability for flexible direct C2 especially in a WW2 type C2 vs. the high tec CMSF C2. What do you think?

In thinking how the C2 is set up now in Cmx2 perhaps a new admin command called “Assign”, which transfers a squad, or team to a Btln/Co./XO HQ would allow for a more flexible direct C2 in how the game is now compared to Cmx1. IMO I think this adds more realism, and gives the player more use for HQ’s. For example it would not make sense in reality if a squad was out of C2 with it’s platoon HQ, or if it’s HQ is dead, but standing right next to the Co. HQ, and not have the Company Commander not being able to ‘command” that squad. A player would select this “Assign” admin command and click on the HQ unit adding that squad/team as one of the units showing in command. This would allow more of an adhoc ability for flexible direct C2 especially in a WW2 type C2 vs. the high tec CMSF C2. What do you think?

If the platoon HQ is dead and the squad is standing next to the Co HQ, they would be in C2 as it is now in the game.

I'm pretty sure I've seen squad in C2 with their CO HQ but not their platoon HQ. I'll check later tonight.

The situation:

red light for communications with platoon commander

green light for communications with company commander

is rather common in my experience.

(or variations, including an off board battalion commander)

The question is, what does that mean?

The situation:

That the squad can share information about what it sees, with the CO HQ, but not with the platoon HQ. Eventually the platoon HQ will "know" this information if it's in C2 with the CO HQ when the information trickles down.

That the squad can share information about what it sees, with the CO HQ, but not with the platoon HQ. Eventually the platoon HQ will "know" this information if it's in C2 with the CO HQ when the information trickles down.

And I guess information goes two ways, and in a sense the squad is in command of the CO HQ?

The situation:

Those green lights/red lights do not indicate command status of the selected unit except to its immediate superior. So if you select a squad and it shows a red light for the platoon HQ but a green light for the company HQ, that means that the squad does not have a link to the platoon HQ, but the platoon HQ is still linked to the company HQ. C2 links cannot jump levels in the chain the command.

If a selected unit does not have a command icon in the unit panel (voice, visual, distant visual, radio or digital), then it is out of command.

Those green lights/red Xs do not indicate command status of the selected unit except to its immediate superior. So if you select a squad and it shows a red X for the platoon HQ but a green dot for the company HQ, that means that the squad does not have a link to the platoon HQ, but the platoon HQ is still linked to the company HQ. C2 links cannot jump levels in the chain the command.

If a selected unit does not have a command icon in the unit panel (voice, visual, distant visual, radio or digital), then it is out of command.

But two units close to each other share intel, regardless of who they are. So wouldn't this work for CO HQ and a squad as well? By the way, are you sure? I found this in the manual

Chain of Command - displays the parent formations of the unit.

A green icon indicates that the unit is currently in contact,

while a red icon indicates that the unit is out of contact.

But two units close to each other share intel, regardless of who they are. So wouldn't this work for CO HQ and a squad as well?
Sure, but that does not mean the unit is in command or shares the info via c2. I believe this is a simple effect of proximity.

By the way, are you sure? I found this in the manual

I think the text in the manual is misleading.

Status of a squad after destruction of the platoon HQ:

CMSFc2_1.jpg

Battalion HQ is not on the map. It is green because the Coy HQ is considered to have a good link via radio. The platoon's squad has no link to the Coy HQ despite immediate proximity and could not have a link to the Batt HQ as it has no radio.

A picture is worth a thousand green dots. Thanks, akd.

Does that mean that the squad is effectively OUT of command for the battle because it's Plt HQ is no more?

I see that the squad selected has no visual/voice/eyeline/radio or anything in it's command panels.

Will the Coy HQ ever influence the squad from it's company?

edit: I see from reading above that the platoon creates a NEW plt HQ by assigning a new Plt. leader (next higest ranking platoon member).

Cheers,

Gpig

A picture is worth a thousand green dots. Thanks, akd.

Does that mean that the squad is effectively OUT of command for the battle because it's Plt HQ is no more?

Yes.

edit: I see from reading above that the platoon creates a NEW plt HQ by assigning a new Plt. leader (next higest ranking platoon member).

No, I can only assume Wengart meant in the real world.

Yes.

No, I can only assume Wengart meant in the real world (although that seems an awfully broad generalization).

Again, are you sure :P. Can you check your screenshot? I'm pretty sure I've seen this happen, although it could be that one of the squad members must have the "star/command" ability for this to happen.

I see from reading above that the platoon creates a NEW plt HQ by assigning a new Plt. leader (next higest ranking platoon member).

This certainly happens with the Syrians, their squads become Platoon HQs all the time. I'm pretty sure it would happen to a US squad as well, but I rarely get their COs killed so I wouldn't know.

It only happens when ALL of the men from the HQ team are casualties, though.