using Battalion/Company HQ’s, and XO’s in the game?

Vinnart

I have been playing the game for over 2 years., and totally get how to use platoon HQ’s, and understand maintaining good C2 with it’s squads. I am curious as to how some of you are using Battalion/Company HQ’s, and XO’s in the game? I really have found no real use for these units beyond an extra set of eyes for spotting for arty, I usally put these HQ's on the best perch to see most of batttlefield, and leave them there, and use XO's as follow up medic teams. Any tips? l

In Cmx1 if a squad was out of command radius of its own HQ, but within the command radius of the Company HQ the squad would then be in command by the Company HQ. Is this the case in CMSF? Game example: I had a small objective to get way off on a flank, and expected little contact. I dispatch a squad from 1st platoon, and the Company XO to capture it. Will the squad benefit, or be in command of the XO since it is right next to it, and out of C2 with it’s own HQ?

I am curious if the CMx1 feature I described will be in CMBN where a squad, or team could fall under command of Company HQ, so I will ask this part of my question again in CMBN forum. I liked this feature in CMx1 as it allowed a more flexible force set up, and made good use of Company HQ’ as extra HQs.

In real life, the company and battalion commanders would be making many of the decisions that the player makes in CMSF, who has to make ALL the decisions from squad level, all the way up to batallion level.

I would place the higher HQs and XOs in good spotting locations in well-secured areas, as you are doing, and give them short cover arcs so that they don't open fire unless enemy units are in close proximity. I think this is easily in line with what happens in reality in terms of non-administrative involvement by these units.

I wouldn't sya as a "reserve" so much but certainly you should be at the critical point where you can influence the battle.

There is however a trade off here in that if you are too far forward all the time you have a very good idea of the segment of the battle you are involved in but lose the situational awareness of the broader picture (which is your key responsibility).

So as in RL I tend to have my CT / BG commander somewhere to the rear ("rear" = previous bound, not the back edge of the map) most of the time but coming forward to the critical area for the cricital time period and then retiring again.

Apart from that I let the PL comds earn their pay running their PLs.

Depends on the context. In the conventional games that are the meat and drink of CMSF, it's as the Major says.

In COIN where the enemy is everywhere and nowhere, the HQs may well become shooters, or more specifically, extra overwatch and rearguard. But they don't have the umph of a Marine fire team -- that SAW and GL really make a difference. Use them for basic suppression only. Do not use them for assault, even on snipers.

Another observation: if you must venture onto (terraced) rooftops to get a looksie, HQs seem to be the best to do it with since they have few men. They can stay up there longer without being spotted (not indefinitely though).

Depends on the context. In the conventional games that are the meat and drink of CMSF, it's as the Major says.

In COIN where the enemy is everywhere and nowhere, the HQs may well become shooters, or more specifically, extra overwatch and rearguard. But they don't have the umph of a Marine fire team -- that SAW and GL really make a difference. Use them for basic suppression only. Do not use them for assault, even on snipers.

Another observation: if you must venture onto (terraced) rooftops to get a looksie, HQs seem to be the best to do it with since they have few men. They can stay up there longer without being spotted (not indefinitely though).

I guess this is all expririence is ransaked from the streets of Ramadi :P

Hehe, I remember one exercise we did where I actually fired rounds from the front opening of the FOB. It was the last part of basic, the FTX, and the QRF was SLEEPING in the adjacent tent, well big drill didn't like that so some opfor managed to get inside the wire and started shooting all sort of stuff, arty and grenade simulators, all that good stuff. Well I was in the FOB giving a report and witnessed all this. I put my face in the dirt and started firing out the opening at passing opfor. Man, at the time I was cold, wet, hungry, dirty, but it was a ton of fun. Beats the heck out of daddy daycare ;)