Tactical Guidance

I know there is a brief strategy guide in .pdf format on the disk, which is quite useful.

However, has anyone produced a more detailed tactical guide with examples etc?

I particularly having trouble with basic tactical situations, specifically opposed amphibious landings, where inevitably I end up with troops on the beach with zero supply having to be rescued by massed naval and air bombardment, and with tactical breakthroughs against massed Chinese divisions in the mountains around Chungking.

Something like a 'How to' guide from more experienced players would be most useful.

I think the key here is the coordination between all arms, and one thing that can be very useful is to pound the target resources in the turn before you land, using naval and aerial bombardment.

This will probably stop the enemy from reinforcing the target location, and it also means that when you land in your next turn the units you will be attacking should be on very low supply.

If using mainly airpower, target enemy HQs first, not their AA. Targeting the latter before the former can be very painful indeed (I tested this out a bit to resolve a discussion during a game once).

The above applies if landing on islands. A landing on the mainland of Japan or the coast of China follows generally the same principles, except that it will be harder to reduce the target location's supply, and easier for the enemy to reinforce.

I doubt I shall ever play this game against a human opponent. I've tried it in the past with other games and always been disappointed in the experience.

I actually started making a few notes on the strategic and tactical issues that arise when defending or attacking China yesterday, as I seem to do quite well in that operational area. I managed to drive the Japanese back into the sea when playing the Allies and only last night finally captured Chungking when playing as the Japanese.

If I'm happy with the final result I may post it to get some debate and feedback going.