need help with multiplayer

meandean

I am trying to start a multiplayer eos game with a friend but after I login, I cannot see any player in the lobby and when I click on the "host game" it does nothing.

I have comcast internet with a terayon tj715 cable modem. I don't believe this modem has NAT and it also does not do port forwarding.

Can anyone help me solve this problem?

Thanks in advance.

Not fixing your problem, but PBEM will probably work for you.

My brother has the same problem with his setup. His is a funky sat service, so we figured it was because the address table in the NAT was getting flushed faster than EOS was sending data back (NAT considered the data communication done). Never got it to work, so I have no idea if that was the problem.

I am trying to start a multiplayer eos game with a friend but after I login, I cannot see any player in the lobby and when I click on the "host game" it does nothing.

I have comcast internet with a terayon tj715 cable modem. I don't believe this modem has NAT and it also does not do port forwarding.

Can anyone help me solve this problem?

Thanks in advance.

Hm. You should be able to see other people in the internet chat room, regardless of the port-forwarding setup. Although, there might be occasional glitches in seeing other people. Have you tried this several times, and it never works?

Hello Brit,

When I mouse over the "players in chat" button others do appear in a list but then when I click and go to the lobby there is never anyone there and I can't host a game.

@jeep, thanks but we want to play multiplayer and not pbem. MP is how we used to play empire deluxe many years ago.

I seem to be making some progress.

Am now appearing in the lobby after I hooked up my router and did port forwarding using the recommended numbers provided in the manual.

If I have any more issues I will repost here.

Thanks again for your help.

Hi Meandean

part of the problem is there arn't that many players on multi.

You may fair better if your Stateside.

But I don't think that was your problem as you were wanting to play with a pal.

I had problems at first but putting those numbers in (port forwarding) sorted me out. Previously I had to switch off my firewall. Get your pal to do it also!

When you both get in:

1 player hosts a game and an earth icon appears in chat, next to his name. Get your pal to click on that and he will come into your game.

You then set up the game, map size, etc.

Then click on Rommel and add your pal, Someit like 'remote player - pal'

You can change the flags by clicking on them.

When you've set up the game then click 'accept settings' bottom left.

Your pal should then click 'accept settings' also and game will start.

I add this only cos it took me a while to sus it out!

Good luck - its a spunkilicios little game in multiplayer!

Well I have enjoyed playing against the ai but my friend and I have been looking for a game like empire that we could play multiplayer like old times.

Thank you very much for the tips, I really appreciate your input and am printing this out now and will have it nearby when we try playing.

Dean

We tried playing last night but I could not get mp to work. I got it to the point where my name was listed under users but could not see my friends name.

I may need to mess around more with my router settings. I have the windows xp firewall off as I use Bitdefender for security but don't think that is an issue.

We tried playing last night but I could not get mp to work. I got it to the point where my name was listed under users but could not see my friends name.

I may need to mess around more with my router settings. I have the windows xp firewall off as I use Bitdefender for security but don't think that is an issue.

I'm kind of at a loss to figure this one out. Do you have a spotty or slow internet connection?

Hello Brit,

No I have middle level Comcast High Speed and its quite fast, I pay like $47mo for it. The cable modem apparently does not have NAT and there is no way to do port forwarding with it anyhow. But this has been a rock solid setup for years.

I hooked up my netgear router and did port forwarding with that but only saw my name intermittently a few times under 'user' but never anyone else. I do have bit defender internet security but put that into game mode and even turned the firewall off and tried a few times with no difference.

I was able to get my name under the user column, hit the host game button and start a mp game a few times but it was not consistant.

This is where I am at right now.