Question about AI research

jeep

Brit,

How does the AI decide what to research? Is it scripted, does it just research everything in sequence, or some other logic? I'm asking because I'm considering changing the tech tree significantly and wanted some idea if the AI can handle that?

The reason I suspect there might be some scripting is the AI usually doesn't research AIR techs much (or a least doesn't upgrade the air units it builds?).

Brit,

How does the AI decide what to research? Is it scripted, does it just research everything in sequence, or some other logic? I'm asking because I'm considering changing the tech tree significantly and wanted some idea if the AI can handle that?

The reason I suspect there might be some scripting is the AI usually doesn't research AIR techs much (or a least doesn't upgrade the air units it builds?).

There is no scripting in the AI's technology research. What the AI does is look at the nearby technologies that it hasn't discovered (and by "nearby" I mean technologies that are only a few steps away from his current known technologies). The AI then evaluates the value of each of these technologies. If it's a technology that upgrades units and he has a lot of those types of units, he's more likely to pick that technology (example: if he has a lot of class 1 tanks, he's more likely to go after a technology that upgrades them to class 2 tanks than he is to go after a technology that upgrades battleships when he has no battleships). If a technology gives building upgrades, then he evaluates the usefulness of the building and comes up with a score for that technology. This means, for example, if you create a custom ruleset with a factory that gives a +1% production bonus, it will get a low score and he'll be less likely to research it. But, if you create a factory that gives a +100% bonus, then he'll probably go after it quickly. All of these factors are also influenced by the cost of the technology, as well. Lower research points are favored over technologies that cost lots of research points.

I guess that makes sense. That would explain why the AI doesn't research air techs are quickly (it doesn't usually have many air units).

So how about what units it builds? This must also be dynamically calculated. Any insights into how that is done? Could I force the AI to build more planes by making them cheaper and stronger?