Bug? in Soloplay

If you mean that they operate planes right into an empty city to "defend" it, then yeah. I think you should have threeoptions to move air units around: they can rebase as they do now by flying from one location to another, they can be moved via rail to another directly connected location (like ground units are), or by putting them on an transport and shipping them to their destination if there's no direct connection. The "beam me over Scotty" thing has never made any sense to me.

This is a real problem when aircraft are grounded by weather and then in the ensuing opponent turn ground units can attack them. I'm sure that more times than not, and in the likelihood of a week turn, that air units would find a window of opportunity to fly away if ground units threatened their deployment. Perhaps with a one strength loss for operational losses due to the calamity of the imminent threat, air units should automatically relocate in proximity of a friendly city tile within X number of tiles when they find themselves next to an enemy ground unit.

Or maybe allow the automatic redeployment after the initial attack of one enemy ground unit, but never allowing multiple attacks from enemy ground units in a single turn on the same air unit.

The AI tended to put an emphasis on defending cities even if that meant with air units when nothing else is available but you are right it can lead to some unfavourable situations for the AI in terms of its behaviour.

Initially I've removed this for the upcoming WWI release but left it only in the case of capital cities but I suspect that this will also be a similar issue so I've removed it all together for the new game.

Overall the AI improvements for air units in Global Conflict are pretty good. The AI does a better job of redeploying air units around to where the action is. Strategic bombing appears to be more effective. Etc. But I've also seen air units moved recklessly into harms way, or not moved out of harms way soon enough. Maybe just another tweak or two in the AI code would be helpful for air unit movements. And perhaps some of the AI work in the upcoming WWI release could be retrofitted into another GC patch?