TOW Developers Should Look To Matrix's Distant Worlds

Ironically the problem with modding this game has nothing to do with how good of an artist you are or how savvy you are with manipulating data files. Its finding and extracting the files. True tho files have to be packed and use obscure formats otherwise every associated program on your computer would mess the game up. I understand that. but.....

You can extract the files but the file extractor does not work for everyone.

You can use the map builder, but the main texture file can no longer be extracted.

If you can extract the uniform textures, the vanilla Caen PzGrenadier textures are suspiciously hidden. Or not where you would expect them.

You can alter the weapon data files, but the info to change the range of the pzfaust 30 to a pzfaust 60 seems to be misplaced as well.

Without someone providing paths to add to the fileslist text files then we are so limited. Maybe we are expecting too much. If a group of serious modders got together they would produce stuff that could seriously compete with the add-ons. And thats not good for business.

Why can't we create a group of "serious" modders ?

I think Nik Mond answered your question with his post of 1/16/11. It's hard to be a serious modder when the files that need to be modded cannot be extracted. We need updated extracting tools for TOW2.

I wonder if TOW3 will be more mod friendly. I hope so, but have my doubts.

About theses issues, the only solution I can think of would be to have battlefront/1C releasing a pack similar to the modpack with all the default game files not being compressed in *.bin format, or at least give us the permission to upload the extracted files ourselves to the repository.

By the way, there is a lot of things missing from the mega mod pack meshtools that I would dearly like to see released:

-updated plug-ins for 3DSmax so that we would be able to create *.mcn files for ToW2 without having to massively edit the resulting *.mcn files and *.tse files to make them functionning in ToW2 (right now, the tools are only for ToW, but can be made to work with ToW2 with a lot of manual editing)

-the plug-ins we have are only to create vehicles like tanks and statics for ToW. It would be nice if the plug-in to create planes, soldiers, enterable buildings etc... would be released too.

For now, I can create any type of objects by creating a *.mcn file manually, but it is a painfull process, and I still can't create *.vbl files to make new soldiers.

-I would like to be able to edit the MainTex.tga, and being able also to create a brand new from scratch, and be able to save it in compressed format so that it takes less space on the HD and saves some memory.

-I would like to have the utility to create damaged textures for vehicles and soldiers (*.rect files)

I know this is asking a lot, but still... I can't help dreaming of what we could do if we had all the tools needed.