two levels of motorization

Right now we have either 0 (walking) or 1 (wheels).

I've long thought that there should be a second level of motorization: 2 (logistics). This is where the army has figured out how to support motorized marches (e.g., transporters for tanks, movement, storage and distribution of fuel, repair facilities and so on).

Yes, I can just change it in the editor - but I think it should be available in the base scenario.

then load the base scenario into the editor and make the change yourself.

That's pretty funny. Note my original post:

Yes, I can just change it in the editor - but I think it should be available in the base scenario.

Why? Because playtesting for balance would be required.

I was looking for comments on the merit or "accuracy" or the concept.

Historical accuracy of the concept would seem to be a given - mechanized units moved quicker across rough terrain than motorised units so that's a no brainer. More advanced logistics and support - more speed. Nothing wrong with that.

Play testing? Dont see how that would be a factor as extending the ceiling of movement would be the same for both sides. It would require greater defence in depth for sure, but would also place more strain on HQ supply. Cant see an automatic advantage for either side on that in terms of needing play balance adjustment.

However personally I wouldnt do it with the default map - too small. Better on a big map like Nups. The size of the base map is probably why it is capped at 1.

I wasnt trying to be funny - apologies if it came across that way.

I've never liked how Motorization has worked in this game series. Only the US and Great Britain were able to fully motorize/mechanize their ground forces-because the US had a huge industrial base allowing zillions of vehicles to be built. There's no way that Germany, Italy, or the USSR could have come anywhere close to pulling that off. But give the Germans a couple of points in it, and the timing of the Barbarossa campaign is distorted in their favor, when in reality it took awhile for the ground pounders to catch up to the tanks.

You just have to manipulate the fields.

Like I gave allies and Germany a motorization level of 1. Italy, China, Japan level 0 (they gotta research it) The cost to motorize is 30% base price.

UK: not a lot of units so they can afford to motorize

USA: can afford to motorize everything

USSR: can kinda afford to motorize but considering if they do and the Germans dont, they are screwed because they will have less units on the map. Also they have a HUGE army.

Germany: can motorize if they want but the face the same problem as USSR.

So does Germany and USSR want to make a 100 MPP unit cost 130MPPs just to have it get one more action point? For the allies sure, they got tons of extra MPPs.

So you see its just about how to balance it in the system.

Play testing? Dont see how that would be a factor as extending the ceiling of movement would be the same for both sides.

[...]

However personally I wouldnt do it with the default map - too small. Better on a big map like Nups. The size of the base map is probably why it is capped at 1.

[...]

I wasnt trying to be funny - apologies if it came across that way.

1) Terrain barriers change in effectiveness; timed event scripts may be overrun; that kind of thing.

2) Good point about map size. I'm currently doing Brute Force, loving it, might work on that - but would be challenging on the default map.

3) Err... maybe I was a bit too pissy in my response.

I'm with you on this one JDF2. Motorization should be a part of the origination of the unit, no upgrades, no research. If you choose to "motorize / mechanize" a unit, you allocate internal transport, it should be a unit you buy. Now we could use the HQ attachment feature to enhance unit transport by use of the "motor pool", something that was done all the time, the transport is an attached asset allocated by the parent HQ.

To me, level 0 motors is foot / animal transport, an AP of 1, anything above that and you're dealing with mechanical transport and the use of "fuel" is required.

• 2 weeks later...
You just have to manipulate the fields.

Like I gave allies and Germany a motorization level of 1. Italy, China, Japan level 0 (they gotta research it) The cost to motorize is 30% base price.

UK: not a lot of units so they can afford to motorize

USA: can afford to motorize everything

USSR: can kinda afford to motorize but considering if they do and the Germans dont, they are screwed because they will have less units on the map. Also they have a HUGE army.

Germany: can motorize if they want but the face the same problem as USSR.

So does Germany and USSR want to make a 100 MPP unit cost 130MPPs just to have it get one more action point? For the allies sure, they got tons of extra MPPs.

So you see its just about how to balance it in the system.

This can say is explained in better way....