decision events

It certainly is possible, so you could use them for such a purpose.

I have at times wondered about an option to end a game early, e.g. "you like you're beaten as I've captured point X. Do you want to fight on or surrender?"

Things like this, and also for the diplomatic dialog you mention, are certainly feasible.

Nice to hear Bill. How about something that could be prompted by game conditions? For example: say France falls and the Japanese move south and capture Nanning with forces next to the French Indochina border, these actions initiate a decision event for the Axis player.

"Would you like to issue a letter of demand for occupation of and cooperation from FIC, with the possible consequence of an ABDA (America, British, Dutch, Australia) embargo?"

The resulting "yes" would incur a trade embargo reducing the MPP take for Japan and a belligerence escalation from the Allied majors, UK and USA. The affirmative response would also intiate a DE for the Allied player.

For instance, "Japanese demands for FIC cooperation can be somewhat countered by force deployments in Malaya and DEI, X MMPs for X turns for a UK bomber unit in Singapore(UK MPPs) and an additional ground unit(Marines, Armor, etc)) for the Philippines (USA MPPs), available in X turns."

I'm thinking if these types of dialogue can be set up by DEs, somewhat on the lines of History but allowing for different player reactions, an alternative unfolding could be examined by the game components with the culmination of warfare, ie "Days of Decisions", prewar diplomacy.