Game freezes after leaving alone

Ok, I play a turn and then leave the computer to go downstairs fro 10 minutes. I come back up and this time the screen is gone but the game is in the taskbar on the left and on the right in the taskbar the global conflict icon is located and it has a 3/4 green box blinking. I take my mouse and place ut over the global icon in the taskbar on the left and the only thing that comes up is a white screen with that little icon on it. I did cntr-alt-delte to looka nd the game is running? Any idea? Looks like I might have lost the game now I was playing.

This happens to me from time to time on Win7. No real way to recover from it but what you can do is to use the task manager to try to get back to the map display and then save the game by hitting ALT-S. This will save your game for you and then you can restart it. Even if you cannot save it you can use the autosave file to recover the game as of the start of your last turn.

Sometimes you have to play with the task manager and clicking on the small screen display you get while hovering over the icon to get the map display to come back. Usually all you can do is to enter one command before the screen freezes again so make it ALT-S.

Thanks for the reply, yeah, sometimes I play a turn go downstairs and do a few things and it does this. I also have Windows 7 and then I start up the game and go to the autosave feature. Iwas thinking, do you think it could be due to a screensaver function? I was thinking that it happens when the screensaver kicks on? do you ever play pbem? I never did with this game

huhr - you may want to change your screen saver to 'None', at least while you're playing SC Global Conflict. It's possible that the graphics routines called up to draw the screen saver display may interfere with the way that SC Global has drawn its screen and it may not update the screen until much later after you have 'woken the computer up'.

Thanks for the reply, yeah, sometimes I play a turn go downstairs and do a few things and it does this. I also have Windows 7 and then I start up the game and go to the autosave feature. Iwas thinking, do you think it could be due to a screensaver function? I was thinking that it happens when the screensaver kicks on? do you ever play pbem? I never did with this game

It's not a screen saver function as my screensaver is disabled. The game does some other weird things in Win7. I am using the 64 bit ultimate version so that too may be a factor.

I have done pbem with other games in the past and by snail-mail before the internet but not with SC. It comes down to a matter of spare time which is considerably less when kids enter the picture. :D