Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

I want higher resolution!

I must have missed the boat in installing CM. A buddy of mine showed me his game in higher resolution. Mine seems to boot in 640x480 when I double click on the shortcut. How do I set it up to run in 1024x...? Something I need to add to the shortcut properties?

Assuming that you're on a PC and you've installed to the default location on the hard drive...

Go to the C:\PROGRAM FILES\CMBO directory and delete the Combat Mission Beyond Ovr Prefs file. Once this is done you can attempt to run CM again. Once you do so you should see your screen go black and there should be a box in the middle listing the resolution and refresh rate with some Accept and Skip buttons. The first resolution that CM should come up with should be at or very close to your current desktop resolution (with a possibly higher refresh though). If you don't click on anything CM will try another, progressively lower resolution or lower refresh rate at that same resolution with approx. five seconds or so.

There will be limitations on the resolution that CM will use. Some non-standard resolutions aren't recognized, so CM will use standard ones (I haven't seen a resolution beyond 1600 x 1200 myself). CM will not show a resolution that is higher than your current desktop resolution; so if you drop your desktop resolution to one lower than what your set CM for it may come up with a lower resolutoin (though there are some software ways around this once you have set the resolution). The refresh rate will be determined by your video driver and possibly your monitor definition, so you may get some refresh rates that appear strange on your screen. There will also be limitations to the resolution if CM doesn't detect a 3D capable video card or there are limitations to the resolution that your 3D video card will support (like Voodoo 1 & 2 series video cards which often max out at 800 x 600).

If you're running a resolution that is higher than 640 x 480, but CM doesn't offer you anything higher than that resolution it may be because either your video card doesn't offer any significant 3D performance for DirectX or that DirectX doesn't recognize the 3D capabilities of your video card. If the latter is the case then you may need to reinstall DirectX (6.1 or higher) and a stable version of your video driver. If this still doesn't work, then you may have a bit of work ahead of you to get things working.

When the 3D capabilities of your video card isn't recognized by DirectX or CM, then you are left with 'software rendering' which will limit your resolution to 640 x 480 on the PC or 800 x 600 (or 832 x 624 ?) on the Mac. The level of detail and many 'special' effects will not be available in software rendered mode.

If you'd like more help on this issue (and the above doesn't do anything) tells us what video card, driver version and DirectX version you have installed and people here can offer you some more advice.

Thanks guys, that first suggestion about deleting the prefs file and then clicking on the first resolution offered did the trick quickly and quietly. Excellent advice. Topic closed and I'm able to see the mortar rounds go up and the arty rounds coming down now before they hit! Resolution rocks. Takes awhile to get used to the new way the houses look when there's somebody in them though, harder to see them with the higher resolution for whatever reason. Still, nice.