The "one" to buy

I am new to Strategic Command, but looking over the game I am interested.

I am a little confused by all the different titles, however.

My question.... if I am to buy just one, would Global Conflict be the one to purchase? Or at least begin with?

Thanks for any suggestions.

As far as SC, the latest is always the greatest. There are demos from every release. Just think of each SC as a step up in complication. SC1, simple, intuitive, rapid fire turns. Global, a substantial investment in learning the features, although still very user friendly, not a grognard's escapade, but a very decent AI and outstanding PBEM mechanics.

Its like the old "middle of the road" AH and SPI boardgames without the tedious movement of the pieces.

Welcome Mudhugger,

I bought Strategic Command Global Conflict (SCGC) last year when it first came out. It is the first Battlefront game I have ever Purchased and it has more than met my expectations.

Here is what I really like about it.

1. Just as Seamonkey says, it's a good middle of the road game as far as complexity goes. If you have played Axis and Allies you got a good idea of what this game is like. Also, this game plays very closely to an old 1990's game called Panzer General. Very similar mechanics but not at all the same game.

2. It is modable. You can make it as hard or as easy as you like once you become familiar with scripts. You can turn them on or off as you like. Example: there is a script that gives the Italians a 25% chance of declaring war on Greece without the axis human players consent or control. You can turn that off if you don't like it. You can also write your own scripts to create your own historical or what if events. i.e. let's say you write a script that gives a chance that Staufenburg's or Rommel's plot to kill off Hitler works and you make some consequences for that action. I'm presently trying to design a 1936 scenario to open some other possiblities to the war.

3. This is the most important. You can come to this forum and the game designers are always reading this forum and respond. Hubert and Bill have always had a great turn around time to answering my questions and helping me solve problems with play. Where else can you get support from the actual designer of a product. That is outstanding customer service.

Cheers,

Geofighter

Big Al has got it right, his mod is sandwiched in between the default and Nupremal's scenarios, a very good one representing that middle kingdom.

Geofighter, I've got a problem with that script you bring up, the Italians attacking Greece. I like it, but because Albania is only one tile, and starting off there is only one Italian corps there, it does not represent the Order of Battle for that campaign.

If the player is going to be presented with the "surprise" of a DoW, then I believe the Italian corps should be exchanged for at least an Italian army to represent the reinforcements that would have occurred on that front before initiating the attack.

Other than that I'm fine with it, it's really historically accurate as Hitler was surprised by the Italian move.