EOS2 or another game

Kelly's Heros

Brit,

You've learned a lot from your first endeavor into gaming and while EOS may not have met your expectations for wealth and fame, it is a fun game and many of us have gotten our moneys worth.

It is unfortunate that as you were ready to release your game we had entered into one of the worst economic times in our generation. As you have indicated in other threads, you have to make money to survive and I believe that there are several paths you might pursue to leverage your investment in EOS.

1. Partner with another developer(s) and work on EOS2. Doing this on your own is very difficult and may allow you to work on it part-time while you recover from your debt.

2. Go to work with a game developer and leverage your skills and bring us more new games.

3. Develop EOS scenarios and/or a Campaign. I still believe this is one area where EOS missed a golden opportunity. You might be able to manage this part time.

4. Improve the AI. This is not a trivial issue, but in today's market place, it is the difference between a game people will replay or shelve. Unfortunately, EOS is too easy to beat and replay value is limited. Even if you cheat and use scripting or other helpers to portray a more intelligent AI, the improved perception issue is huge. You may need help here. Solicit it and reap the rewards. Don't fix it as EOS1, incorporate it into EOS2. Look at all the games out there that reinvent themselves in the second release.

5. Leverage your knowledge to teach others, write a book, help other developers. You have accomplished something that very few game developers achieve. A finished product that you made money on. You may not be rich, but you are successful.

6. Revel in your success, go back to work as a developer and pay off your bills. Come back stronger and nail the next one when the economy is better. You have to know that part of your lackluster sales are due to a very sick economy for software. If you look at the number of discounted games out there right now, it is truly a tragedy. Don't let this time period dissuade you from the future. There will be better opportunities for EOS2 in the coming years. I hope you will consider this.

Don't forget that marketing a game is way more important than the game technology. If you are not a marketeer, find someone who can help you. Apple was a technology company, now they are a marketing company. Look at their stock now. How you present your game will dictate how it sells. Yes, it still has to be a good game, but the more pizazz you have around it the more interest you will have.

Best of luck and thanks for all of your support and updates. I still play EOS and it continues to surprise me at times and is still a great way to burn a cold Sunday afternoon.

Brit,

You've learned a lot from your first endeavor into gaming and while EOS may not have met your expectations for wealth and fame, it is a fun game and many of us have gotten our moneys worth.

It is unfortunate that as you were ready to release your game we had entered into one of the worst economic times in our generation. As you have indicated in other threads, you have to make money to survive and I believe that there are several paths you might pursue to leverage your investment in EOS.

1. Partner with another developer(s) and work on EOS2. Doing this on your own is very difficult and may allow you to work on it part-time while you recover from your debt.

2. Go to work with a game developer and leverage your skills and bring us more new games.

3. Develop EOS scenarios and/or a Campaign. I still believe this is one area where EOS missed a golden opportunity. You might be able to manage this part time.

4. Improve the AI. This is not a trivial issue, but in today's market place, it is the difference between a game people will replay or shelve. Unfortunately, EOS is too easy to beat and replay value is limited. Even if you cheat and use scripting or other helpers to portray a more intelligent AI, the improved perception issue is huge. You may need help here. Solicit it and reap the rewards. Don't fix it as EOS1, incorporate it into EOS2. Look at all the games out there that reinvent themselves in the second release.

5. Leverage your knowledge to teach others, write a book, help other developers. You have accomplished something that very few game developers achieve. A finished product that you made money on. You may not be rich, but you are successful.

6. Revel in your success, go back to work as a developer and pay off your bills. Come back stronger and nail the next one when the economy is better. You have to know that part of your lackluster sales are due to a very sick economy for software. If you look at the number of discounted games out there right now, it is truly a tragedy. Don't let this time period dissuade you from the future. There will be better opportunities for EOS2 in the coming years. I hope you will consider this.

Don't forget that marketing a game is way more important than the game technology. If you are not a marketeer, find someone who can help you. Apple was a technology company, now they are a marketing company. Look at their stock now. How you present your game will dictate how it sells. Yes, it still has to be a good game, but the more pizazz you have around it the more interest you will have.

Best of luck and thanks for all of your support and updates. I still play EOS and it continues to surprise me at times and is still a great way to burn a cold Sunday afternoon.

Hey, thanks. In a few days, I think I'll post a post mortem on the game. Also, as far as #1, I've started projects before and had other developers interested in getting involved and helping out on a volunteer basis. I've always found that volunteers tend to lose interest pretty quickly, so I haven't had much luck with people unless I'm paying them. Other developers I've talked to have come to the same conclusion. I'd be in a similar situation right now with EOS2. Anyway, I already accepted a new job. One thing I can say is that employers seem pretty interested in people who have the ambition and talent to pull off a whole product by themselves. It took less than two weeks between starting to look for a job and getting a good job offer. I'll comment on this more in the future.

Hi Brit/ all

Firstly let me say what a fantastic job you have done with this Brit. And to actually have the developer on the forum, answering questions and fixing requests is unbelievable!

This is the game I have been looking for for years! My pal and I have been playing Historyline 1914-18 since Windows 95, wishing for an updated version and then I found EOS, and prayers answered.

And then the bad news...................very depressed to hear sales are not going well but as Kelly say's, luck was not with you on the timing :( **** those bankers!!)

I was going to ask, how many of us are there out there who don't want EOS to die??

Are there enough of us, (presuming there are no millionaires among us) to invest in Atomicboy software with say a $20 per month investement to pay Brit's wages and keep this dream alive?? and maybe develop other projects?

I have some ideas on games that should be made, and I'm sure the rest of you do too.

Start a poll - cum on guys - who's in?

Re: marketing, what you have here is a game making kit.

What about doing a new set of images and re-launching as "Strategy Game Maker"

Most things are already customisable, add a couple more (ie: a forward repair base, road building, etc) and voila?

Have you tried getting EOS in the shops? Amazon, etc?

I think, with the deepest respect, one thing that may have put trad strat gamers off are the slightly cartoonlike graphics??

I have some new map and mountain textures I have been using. They were just knocked together quickly but if they are thought to be an improvement then they could be worked on. Email me at mark@ddept.co.uk if any of you would like to see them. I can't upload them here as they are too big doh!

Brit, if you need volunteer help with any new projects, then let me know.

So if my dream of Atomicboy2 isn't a reality, best of luck Brit and thank you.

ps. are you a Brit?

I've always found that volunteers tend to lose interest pretty quickly, so I haven't had much luck with people unless I'm paying them. Other developers I've talked to have come to the same conclusion.

It's unfortunate, but unless said person shares the vision with you, you have to dangle carrots in front of them at every opportunity. I've had zero success with volunteers over the many years.

Maybe I'm just not good enough at cracking the whip?

It's unfortunate, but unless said person shares the vision with you, you have to dangle carrots in front of them at every opportunity. I've had zero success with volunteers over the many years.

Maybe I'm just not good enough at cracking the whip?

I think volunteers would be fine, but generally people bore quickly when they realise work takes time and effort.