Game always freezes at the end of my first turn

Hello,

I just got my retail copy of Global Conflict after weeks of waiting. So I just started a new campaign and noticed that the game freezes ALWAYS at the end of my first turn, i.e. when I've moved my last unit.

It doesn't matter if I'm using the latest patch 1.04 or not - it always freezes. I've reinstalled the game about ten times now and I don't know what to do anymore. I've also tried the various ingame settings (turn on/off video acceleration etc.) - with no result at all. Every other game is running fine on my WinXP (SP3) machine. It would be awesome if anyone has a clue or hint for me how to fix this.

Something similar used to happen to me. After making the last move and then ending the turn the game would either freeze or crash. Hubert recommended I wipe out the previous installation and reinstall the game completely fresh. After I did this the problem never returned.:D

@Big Al:

Thanks for your reply. But I don't have any extra devices connected. I've also updated all the drivers (including DirectX).

@wlape3:

Also thank you very much for this hint. I've already installed the game several times (with and without patch), also using wiping any previous installations and registry settings etc. Unfortunately it didn't help at all.

Okay, the problem's getting pretty weird... I just found out that it always crashes when I try to continue selecting the next unit pressing the "N"-key. When there's no unit left that can be moved etc. the game always freezes. I installed the game on two other computers and the problem is always the same. Any ideas how to solve this?

This is an old problem that has been intermittent in the past, one I'm paranoid about because it has shut down plenty of SC turns, usually at the end when cycling through units that haven't moved. What a pain it is in PBEM.

I just don't use the feature anymore. I've tried it a couple of times in GC without a problem but it's just not worth it, I'm always thinking about it whenever I hit the next "N", making it a jinx.

Don't do it!

@Seamonkey:

Okay, that's very good to know that it's not the fault of my configurations or something. Since this is a known problem, how am I still able to play the game? Maybe a strange question but I'm new to the Strategic Command series and only played SSI strategy games before (Pacific General etc.). In those games the next unit button was essential cause otherwise you wouldn't know which units already have been used. So my question is if this game is still playable without this function at all? Am I missing something here? Thank you very much in advance!

The function is nonessential, don't use it. Look canuck you can manage your units without the "N" key. Access the Strategic Map, see the blinking icons? Those are units that haven't moved yet. Break the map down into theaters, move from one to another, finish moving with one nation then proceed to the next, the icons are different for each nation.

This is not a big deal! You can do it!:D

SeaMonkey, thanks a lot for your quick reply. Even if this problem still exists it's nice to know that I'm not the only one with this.

Thank you also for the tip regarding map usage in order to work around this problem. I already thought of something like this, but it's nevertheless a bit disappointing that even the next unit button (not key) isn't working properly. Maybe I'm just a bit frustrated cause I used to cycle through all my units in those other games I mentioned (5 star series).

So one last question: Is there anything else I should know concerning this problem before continue playing/starting a campaign? I mean are you still playing the game this way (using only the map to detect units which are still available for action)?

Again, thanks a lot for your help! And sorry for any mistakes regarding my language/writing -- I'm from Germany and always need some practice before it gets better :(

Actually, you don't really need the map. The units always have a blinking icon if they have not yet been moved. The map is a useful tool though to remind you of other units that you might want to move.

By the way, your English is considerably better than most of the people here in the US sad to say.