Question about 2 files in Data folder

nik mond

I created a mod, it involves folder and files in the Data foler and several skins in the model folders. Typically I would say here is a dat folder, and here is a model folder, drop them in your /theatre of war 2 Kursk/ folder and its done. But I note two files already in the data folder and I think they are from the latest patch.

AI\Messages.xml and settings/navigation

I have version 1.3.2 which is supposed to be the latest as of today. I was wondering what those two files do. I'm thinking I just cant have those in my mod or overwrite them.

Figuring how the easiest way for people to drop modded files into this game is always a problem.

Here is what I know about theses two files:

data/AI/messages.xml is the file that is used to display messages in the UI in game (soldiers status, vehicle status...etc, like the message "soldier is under attack")

data/settings/navigation.ini is used to determine the behavior of units relating to pathfinding (for example, the area in pathfinding squares that a unit is occupying, how the units react to obstacle - crush or go around). This is where you can set how far around a vehicles trees or soldiers will be crushed, how much space they occupy (and so, if they can or cannot pass between two obstacles)

So, it seems to me that you don't need to modify any of theses files for your new units.