Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

TCP/IP on a LAN problems

I am having a bit of a problem with CM using TCP/IP on a LAN.

Configuration: I am still on a dial up connection and each of the computers on the LAN have their own modem AND ethernet card (I know I gotta get hooked up on a high speed connection one of these days).

Problem: When I start up a TCP/IP game on my LAN, each of the computers selects the dialup modem as default and attempts to connect to the internet instead of looking three feet away on the LAN. The joining computer hooks up first, then we have to manualy disconect, then the host dials out, once this connection is shut down, the joining computer attempts to dial again but this can be termenated before dial up and the game is on. Once this glitch is over the game runs smoothly, but getting through the start up is a problem, one false step and at least one of the computers locks up completly.

Plea for help: Does anyone out there have a method of forcing the game to search for LAN cards before modems? Thanks

:confused:

Bart

i have a lan and have no problems joining games on the lan.. one computer will set up the game and should be given the ip of that computer..if you are on a lan you should get 2 ip address if you are connected to the internet.. one for the internet and one for your lan.. make sure you use the one for the lan.. the other computer will imput the ip address of the host computer. also have you changed the ip address of each computer on the lan.. if your home lan has all the same ip for each computer that will cause a problem.

to see if each computer has the same ip:

go to start/settings/control panel then click on network.. highlite the tcp/ip protocol for the lan card then click on properties in that window you will find the ip for that lan card. if all are the same chang the last number (ex. xxx.xxx.xxx.001) i have 3 computers on my lan so i have xxx.xxx.xxx.001, xxx.xxx.xxx.002, and xxx.xxx.xxx.003. the default usually is 192.168.0.1 after you have different ip numbers for the lan cards CM will give you those numbers at the end of the start sequence.

hope this helps

Arien