Marketing Blitz

Brit

Since the UI (not including the actual map) is built using Microsoft technologies, I'm not sure how easy it would be to transition since there's a lot of code there. I was also a little worried about the AI running fast enough on tablets and Android/iPhones. But, I don't know enough to say for sure.

You'll have to make much smaller maps and use way less units. Most of ported games I've seen use much smaller subsets of PC version. The screen and CPU just don't allow the full game to work on the phone. Also most people aren't going to want play a game for hours on their phone. It would need to be small enough to complete in an hour or two. Maybe six different unit types and maps with three or four islands.

Since the UI (not including the actual map) is built using Microsoft technologies, I'm not sure how easy it would be to transition since there's a lot of code there. I was also a little worried about the AI running fast enough on tablets and Android/iPhones. But, I don't know enough to say for sure.

I tend to play large games and it does bog down in the later stages. I wouldn't think a handheld could run it either.

• 3 weeks later...

You might think about going to some of the Game Cons around the country and setting up a laptop and just showing it to gamers. I am a miniatures gamer, primarily Flames of War (which is WW2), but also other historical miniatures from time to time. I frequent my local game shop here in Austin and when I have time go there and just play old board games. That being said, during the week I like to play EOS at home because it's difficult to set up a game with one of my gaming buddies.

I guess what I am saying is that although miniatures gamers primarily like to do miniatures, I am betting that a certain percentage also like to play computer games. And EOS is a prime strategy game which is one of the appeals of miniatures battles. So my thought is to contact that segment of the gaming world through the Cons they attend. There are also several websites and clubs that promote miniatures gaming (and where the Cons advertise) and these sites might post an email or an ad about EOS.

I hope you succeed because I do like EOS and would hate for it to die.

We'll be checking into it. Although, some of the game-distribution companies aren't interested in carrying EOS. I don't know what Valve/Steam will say.
Any luck with this? I've agreed before, and still agree about Steam. Bought tons of games on pure impulse on Steam, and they do carry vast numbers of indie games.

Steam's even self-promoting, ie. friends see which games you own and play, buy the same games, then their friends see what they're playing etc.

Any luck with this? I've agreed before, and still agree about Steam. Bought tons of games on pure impulse on Steam, and they do carry vast numbers of indie games.

Steam's even self-promoting, ie. friends see which games you own and play, buy the same games, then their friends see what they're playing etc.

Battlefront tried contacting Steam a while back. It took them a while to respond, and they sort of seemed like they weren't that interested. I fired off another submission to them today. Maybe I'll have better luck.

If Steam doesn't work out, don't forget there are other (if smaller) digital distributors out there.

Impulse and Gamers Gate are two I use in addition to Steam, and both have a solid strategy library, so you should have access to the right demographic. In fact, I'm pretty sure some Battlefront titles are already sold through Gamers Gate (Just double-checked, there are 10-12 Battlefront titles up there!) so that might make it easier for you.

I think that just the exposure of being in their catalogs would help you. I know I happened upon EoS completely by accident last Christmas when I was re-ordering a lost Combat Mission game for a friend. I'd never heard of EoS before that, or Battlefront for that matter. If I hadn't lost that CD, I would never had had a chance to discover EoS. There's just no exposure.

But seeing the screenshots evoked a lot of fond casual-strategy gaming memories from the share-ware era and I had to get it for myself. I'm sure it can grab others the way it did me, they just have to know it exists. So if you haven't, consider GG and Impulse. They aren't steam, but they are a world above D2D.

If Steam doesn't work out, don't forget there are other (if smaller) digital distributors out there.

Impulse and Gamers Gate are two I use in addition to Steam, and both have a solid strategy library, so you should have access to the right demographic. In fact, I'm pretty sure some Battlefront titles are already sold through Gamers Gate (Just double-checked, there are 10-12 Battlefront titles up there!) so that might make it easier for you.

I think that just the exposure of being in their catalogs would help you. I know I happened upon EoS completely by accident last Christmas when I was re-ordering a lost Combat Mission game for a friend. I'd never heard of EoS before that, or Battlefront for that matter. If I hadn't lost that CD, I would never had had a chance to discover EoS. There's just no exposure.

But seeing the screenshots evoked a lot of fond casual-strategy gaming memories from the share-ware era and I had to get it for myself. I'm sure it can grab others the way it did me, they just have to know it exists. So if you haven't, consider GG and Impulse. They aren't steam, but they are a world above D2D.

It sounds like we might have it up on GamersGate soon.

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure it was mentioned above but I can recommend Impulse over at Stardock Corporation. This is the company that made Galactic Civilizations and GC2. They now have a cool place where you can buy all kinds of games but especially strategy types. Its something like Steam but I like it because I don't have to play through Impulse when I play a game. I myself have bought a few off of it but things is these are the types of people who will also love EOS so definitely get on there if you can. You can find them at impulsedriven.com

Hope this helps sell more EOS. We want Brit doing code to make EOS better!

Dean

Here is some more info off the site about what Impulse offers to developers. Looks like a good deal to me but of course they do take a cut.

Put your game, application, utility or any other type of PC software on Impulse and reach millions of users around the world. Impulse is a digital distribution platform that enables your users to associate your program with their account and easily access the latest/greatest version of it. Increase your sales, reduce your support costs and take advantage of the features of the fastest growing digital distribution platform on the PC.

Impulse allows developers to:

1.Distribute their software to millions of users with very little effort

2.Receive 70% of the gross revenue on each sale (85% in the event that the sale is made from the developer's website – better than most ecommerce solutions)

3.Make use of Impulse::Reactor, an advanced and free development platform that offers a wide range of features from intellectual property protection to multiplayer matchmaking.

See the documents below for more information on the features of Impulse