Mines?

Big Mike

HiBrit,enjoying this game very much.Just a suggestion,would it be possible to add mines on both land and sea?Maybe infantry units being able to plant mines but given just so many to plant,same with destroyers or if possible new minelayer ships that can also disable enemy mines.I thought this would bring more depth to the game.But im no programer so I dont know how hard a job this would be.Otherwise kep up the good work with other updates.Thanks

I've just been making mines! (Sea Mines)

You give destroyers a transport capacity of 1, make it so they can only carry something with the "mines" tag. Give the minefields a movement ability of 0 and some large combat ability. The destroyers can drop them off anywhere, and they kill all ships that come close. I kept them visible as they should be deterrents more than anything.

A sonarbouy would be the same kind of deal, just give it a zero combat ability and a big view range for subs, but any enemy that finds it can kill it.

So in short you can do all this right now, the only thing that isn't possible is for something to die after 3 turns.

I even made an icon. It's not very good, I can't work out the alpha channels with my software.

Sea Mines.bmp

I can see adding mines to the game, but I don't think sonobuoys are a good idea. Sonobuoys need to be monitored by a ship or plane in the area they are laid and they have a short lifespan. Since EOS doesn't have a fixed time or range scale the lifespan issue and monitoring become weird. On the default map even one turn of life would be way too long. I much prefer planes and ships that can see subs as you can assume they use sonobuoys as part of the detection process.