Caen in Steam

Hi I just saw an option to buy Caen on Steam. is that OK?

Tks!

'

Don't buy the Steam version unless your copy of Theatre of War 2: Kursk 1943 is also from Steam! However, Steam currently has all Theatre of War games on sale, so you would actually be saving money re-buying everything on Steam. Kursk 1943 is just $5 and the Caen add-on is $9! That's a total of $14, and I noticed Battlefront is selling the Download Only version for $25... If you don't mind Steam, then thats an $11 savings... As a matter of fact, you can now buy all the Theatre of War games as one package deal for only $11.25!!!

I already had everything but Caen, and yet I bought the Complete Edition (ToW 1, Afrika, Centauro and Kursk) and the Caen expansion for $20.25.

The Tow1 editors never worked on my quad core, but the Steam version does!

Also, if my computer dies, I don't have to worry about all the licensing crap. I will always have these great games archived on Steam.

These games will sell like hotcakes on Steam, so 1C should be set. I just wish Battlefront would get a "cut." Then it would be good for everyone, right?

Actually, we are getting a (small) cut. We granted 1Cs wish to be on there. We won't be putting any other games up there for the foreseeable future.

Steam is selling the series for some time now and the cakes are rather lukewarm so far. Steam is a multiplayer club for mainly FPS junkies and they do not suddenly all jump to buy a game they don't understand just because it's one of the 2000+ games listed on Steam. Some people pick it up because it's dirt cheap, for sure. People buy all sorts of things if they're cheap. If it's good for the hobby or Theatre of War is yet to be seen (I'm skeptical in case you're missing the subtle hints) :) The game series certainly deserves a higher price.

Which games you will keep and play longer (the one with the non-expiring "eLicense crap" or the one with the "online archive") remains to be seen. Just note please that Battlefront is not providing support for games bought off Steam, you'll have to contact 1C's support directly.

Martin

Sorry, I shouldn't have used the word "crap." It is a fair system and better than DRM.

I did have an issue once when the BF site said "my downloads have expired." Fact is, I have so much stuff from you, it just makes me nervous if my computer went south.

Glad you are getting a small cut. I paid full price for all of them once, so lucky is the FPS guy that stumbles across these great simulations.

Best to you, and sorry for my language.

No problem Rosseau!

There is an easy way around the problem with your computer going south: burn a copy to CD, or copy it to a USB stick. These are cheap a dozen these days and can hold Gigs of data. That way, you will never lose the setup files you downloaded. And since your license key never expires, you're not going to have a problem loading the games even if your PC burns through.

yes good idea. Keep a massive stack of CDs to lose for years only to find they are scratched or lost in a move next time you need to re-install. I'm afraid thats an archaic way to go next to the power of the cloud. It is also something most people never really get around to doing. Unless they are amazingly organised... lets be realistic... how many of us are like that? Especially when it comes to a game?

Or the USB stick, a good example of what people should NEVER use to backup. Those things actually almost have a used by date and are so breakable. People also tend to use them and lose them.

I am one who has kept having to re-apply for e-license resets after computer crashes (no chance to uninstall). Not a fan of the DRM, but am a fan of the games that come from here. I am though fan of the two install deal per copy.

Thats just some feedback for you. Hope it does not come across too strong.

I do respect and will keep on buying from you as a great platform for keeping obscure niche wargaming titles alive.

That's my potential problem--I never saved the executables on some of this stuff. So would have to re-download, but my downloads' expired. And my newer computer is acting unstable these days!

I'm sure I could work something out with customer service if the worst were to happen. Thanks again.