TCP/IP anybody, does it work, tricks?

Jollyguy & myself tried to TCP/IP with no luck. I was at public internet, McDonalds to be exact & he was on some WIFI hub. We failed to connect. From previous SC there were always tricks to get working. Who has the tips? Because I don't test crap.

Anyone, chime in with TCP/IP tips.

I'm ready to game, anyone get this stuff working, I'll take Thursday/Friday off just to play live.

Let the Legend know, post info here.

I think the problem is that most computers today connect to the internet via a router so your IP as shown by the game is the IP address of your router and not the actual one that would identify your computer on the Internet.

There is more info on this in the following link specifically under the Tips section:

http://www.furysoftware.com/documents/TCPIP_Quick_How_To.txt

Alternatively I've heard of some success using programs like Hamachi to create a virtual private network but I'll admit I've never used it myself. Either way it might be worth looking into:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hamachi_(software)

I think that guy is right hamachi is the way to go. I'm in Hawaii now but back next week, if you wanted to beta it maybe we could play next friday. I remember was the way everyone ended up playing sc2, and even I was able to figure it out. I seem to remember that you and I played sc2 that way. Aloha. Bob

I tried it once (1.2 patch) and it worked fine. Problem is, you have to spend all day, takes forever, gets boring waiting for the other player. I would think the time in McDonalds would kill you from just breathing the greasy air for that long :)

One good thing we did figure out, though, is that you can alt tab away during the other players turn, then come back, and it will show everything he did while you were gone happening fast, like an e-mail game. That was cool.

• 3 weeks later...
You use the timer feature?

No, I prefer to think. When I play PBEM, I have a personal rule that I do nothing without looking at everything first-all fronts-research-diplo, etc. I did not do this in TCP/IP

But we were playing early in the game, so turns went faster than they would in say 1943. Still way too slow for me.