Downloaded demo,now what?

Hello, today I downloaded the CM Demo, and now what do I do. I know NOTHING about this type of game. I started the training mission, but it doesn't begin to tell me what buttons to push and why. Is there a youtube or anything anywhere that can teach me how to get started with the CM game system?

For example, I pressed some button and locked up the screen so it was always on one of the infantry group, the one to the right side of the set up, and could never get that view unlocked. I thought that example might give you an idea what a noob I am. :)

Thanks for any help.

The installation should contain a manual!? Try to find it!

Use the Space bar to bring up an orders menu (I do not recommend using the default input scheme). Better yet, edit the hotkey.txt file that lets you define your own hotkeys.

For moving, I use Quick most often, Hunt less often, Slow only in very specific situations. Use Move during the setup face.

Play real-time first to try things out.

The Tab key locks the camera to units.

There is so much more to write, but I have to continue working ...

Best regards,

Thomm

Jgstrick, welcome to the world of CM. Hopefully the somewhat steep learning curve won't throw you off. Were I new I'd check out the menu button in the lower right corner of the user interface. There you will find a button labled hotkeys which give you your control options. Personally, I don't really use the keyboard much to select units, but rather to specify movement type or facing, everything else I do off of menus, but then that probably won't suit playing RealTime if that is what you want to do.

I would suggest playing turn based just to figure out what the control scheme is without being under fire, either that or use pauses liberally if playing RT (not sure what pauses the game in RT since I don't play it).

Aside from that, try to plot movement using concealment and take your time advancing. As outmatched as the Syrians are they can be quite lethal if you throw caution to the wind. After you've become accustomed to playing and if you decide to buy the game I would then suggest playing against human opponents. I most of what I have learned has been the result of playing superior players and paying attention to what they do.

I'd also recommend the Tips and Tactics section of the forum if you haven't already...

I think it's a real problem for newbies who are not military folks for them to understand doctrine, tactics etc. CMSF is very unforgiving of errors that it must be very frustrating for the average gamer.

So much rather useless detail in the manuals, but nothing on HOW to play, tactics etc.

I was new to this type of game (CM) in 2007 and never bothered to use my own hotkeys :)

As soon as you figure them out, it will speed up your game. Its a bit of a hack though :). Like others suggested you could use the space bar in the beginning since all commands are pointed out there.

There are a couple of command tabs (from memory):

- Movement (Fast, Quick, Normal, Slow, Hunt, Assault, Reverse)

- Targets (Target Light/Heavy, Target Arc, Face(turn), Target Smoke, Clear)

- Miscallenous (Dismount, Acquire (get weapons), Pop Smoke, Pause, Hide, Button Up)

- Squad org (Split in 2, assault team, AT team)

That'll sort you out :)

Perhaps the most important thing is to realize that this probably is unlike any other game you played. The basic commands are quite intuitive after you tried them out (you can perform all actions with your mouse), but to master this game is something else.

It is quite rewarding IMO, this games portraits (tactical) warfare like I have never seen or felt before.

The USMC (US marine) or US Army scenario's are probably the most easy. You will found out why that is.

Enjoy!

I'd suggest playing the training scenarios in WeGo first. That's what I did when I first tried the demo - pick a move or other command, see how it works, and compare what the manual says about it. The obvious advantage of this is being able to make mistakes and use trial-and-error for choosing commands (and figuring how to do things like lock and unlock unit views) without being under fire, which only makes trying to learn the game more frustrating. Once you have a handle on the basic input of commands check the tactics sub-forum for more detailed advice.

Something like the JasonC CMBB lessons would be very usefull.

They were what gave me a grip on CM1.

On that note, you could try watching the base game campaign walk-throughs to get a grip on tactics. Not sure how helpful they will be to learning some of the real nuts-and-bolts stuff, though.

http://www.battlefront.com/community/showthread.php?t=90433

JasonC was awesome. He was instrumental in helping a lot of people to the other side of the curve, including me.

The forums are a great source of info, and if you can't find an answer via search(I know of atleast two who cover mounting troops), there's a lot of helpful people who frequent the boards. The strategy sub forum also has a few guides that should be useful to new players.

It would be great to have just one page explaining the doctrinal differences between nationalities. The make up of some of the units is strange. Like a couple NATO vehicles have no one to man the HMG when dismounted, leaving only a driver. Makes no sense since you'd thing they would want the support from the HMG. But, presumably there must be some logical thinking behind this. But, the CM manuals don't explain anything.

Just on this topic I've noticed the scenario difficulty has increased with each module release.

For a new player jumping into one of the NATO campaigns this could be quite daunting and even frustrating enough to put them off keep playing.

One thing I don't like about alot of scenarios being made now is the use of a very strict friendly casualty limit. I prefer scenarios that are more a puzzle and a tactical challenge, so if you go the wrong way and lose a few men you can still recover and win. But in alot of scenarios now a lucky RPG shot on a AFV with a squad in it can doom you to failure.

I'm a veteran player and get frustrated at these strict casualty limits because I like to play for enjoyment in the limited time I have to spend on the game, but I'm also concerned new players will just give up and shelve it.

I guess I'm looking forward to when we get back to WW2 when pixeltruppen were expected to die for their masters without question.

Yeah I agree with what you are saying Bodkin, but I guess it's pretty authentic at the end of the day. It does make for a rather frustrating experience in some cases however, like getting booted out of the campaign because you hit the max limit of casualties, deemed appropriate by the designer. It doesn't really make for a fluid game in that respect. Although on the plus side it does make you try and take extra care. Is that a plus in a simulation? I don't really know.

I also feel the scenarios in NATO have gone up several levels of difficulty. Not only do you have to watch carefully the casualty stats (moreso than before IMHO) but I am now more likely to run out of time because I am having to take extra care treading on those eggshells. It's all things that can be changed in the editor mind you, so at least it's not a permament flaw. I haven't even touched the Canadian or Dutch forces either!

I'm really enjoying NATO, and the other modules but I am beginning to feel a little 'burnt out' by the whole modern warfare experience. I am also really looking forward to that fix bayonets chhhaaaaaarge, to hell with the casualties, in Normandy. :)

Although I never played CMx1 I could appreciate some meat-grinder missions :) Take the objective at all costs!

Will be strange though, to send troops through artillery fire and MG nests, sort of human wave style. Have to unlearn CMSF again. I'm also hoping for larger scale scenarios, since when casualties don't really matter it's a whole lot easier to send 3 companies forward at the same time.

I can imagine a 'Pooh ww2 style. 12 howitzer batteries and a battalion worth of cannonfodder try to brake through that damn line. No sneaking with TOW humvees, snipers nor Apaches. But no AT-14's looking to eat up your Abrams either.

I hope house to house fighting will have some improved visuals. Must admit that although I feel CMSF is a more then welcome change from the rusty WW2, I am curious to see how CM will portray WW2.

in NATO especially in the german campaign, the casualty limits are there for a reason, basically so make you preserve your force, in each scenatio but one, ive got slightly over the casualty rate and i am paying for it in the late campaign with less than combat effective sections...

It is the curse of all wargames that the level of detail and effort put into accuracy and simulation is offset by the utter lack of tutorial, information about how the game actually works and interface.

The weird thing is that it isn't even a resources issue: the interface is marred by some really appalling design decisions (looking at you, fire support tab!) that really defy explanation.

We come back because it's not like there are any alternatives of course.