Question

rich12545

My system does handle units that can see subs. In fact thats all I wanted it to handle. Maybe you didn't read it carefully enough. Even units that can see subs have very limited range that they can see them in. I really don't care too much if the computer uses its current system to spot units other than subs and other units designated as "invisible". For units other than invisible types it doesn't affect game play nearly as much, but for subs and special forces it pretty much invalidates their reason to exist.

Ok I re-read it and obviously you are talking about the subs being spotted by units that can spot subs.

That doesn't change my point though. All units have a fairly limited view range, so why should a unit that spots subs in a short range be any different to a unit which spots everything?

Anyway, I support the core of your idea. The AI could "know" that your units are there, but instead of flying out in a perfectly judged intercept, they could just be triggered to send out random patrols.

After all a human play can guess, judge and extrapolate in ways that would take forever to program an AI to do. A half cheat instead of a precision 100% tactical cheat might be the best way.

Sorry but I still don't agree. I've never even heard of a war/strategy game where the ai has perfect sight. And the ones I play have decent ais so it can be done. It galls me no end that the ai can see all my units and I don't believe random patrols is the answer.

Hoolaman, I see that you play Shock Force. Does the ai have perfect sight and just sends out random patrols?

Sorry but I still don't agree. I've never even heard of a war/strategy game where the ai has perfect sight. And the ones I play have decent ais so it can be done. It galls me no end that the ai can see all my units and I don't believe random patrols is the answer.

Hoolaman, I see that you play Shock Force. Does the ai have perfect sight and just sends out random patrols?

I know that Civilization 3 allowed the AI to see areas of the map that they shouldn't see. I've seen the AI turn its transport ships around just as I colonized an island. There was also a trick that players used to use with the AI where they'd intentionally leave an interior city undefended so that the AI would send troops inside the human player's borders to capture the city it couldn't see, then they'd ambush the AI. (I believe they fixed this in one of the patches.)

I know that Civilization 3 allowed the AI to see areas of the map that they shouldn't see. I've seen the AI turn its transport ships around just as I colonized an island. There was also a trick that players used to use with the AI where they'd intentionally leave an interior city undefended so that the AI would send troops inside the human player's borders to capture the city it couldn't see, then they'd ambush the AI. (I believe they fixed this in one of the patches.)
Crap, I guess I won't play CIV anymore.... ;)

I never played civ so didn't know that. That's one of hundreds I guess.

Can you give us some idea when this will be corrected?

Shock force AI is 100% timed scripting, no triggers and no deviations. This is possible because every scenario is saved with a set map and set forces.

That causes enough problems in Shock Force, and it would be totally impractical for a game with EoS complexity.