Sighting subs

Boris Balaban

Do planes fling around see the enemy subs?:(

They shouldn't. I did notice that Eidolad said one of his planes saw a sub, which surprised me. I don't know if it was some small bug caused by the aircraft being directly over the submarine, or if I setup something wrong in the ruleset.

Although, for realism, early in the game, I should probably allow aircraft to see submarines at some short distance. Afterall, aircraft were used to spot submarines in WW2. I don't know if that was because submarines in WW2 were spending most of their time just at the surface and diving only to attack.

Brit....in WW II subs were only sighted on the surface by planes using radar, eyeballs and sometimes radio direction finding equipment. Modern sub hunting planes can find submerged subs using sonobuoys and MAD. During both periods plane are equipped to kill spotted subs. There is no chance that a modern nuclear sub would be sighted by a WW II plane as they nearly never surface. In WW II subs spent most of their time on the surface.

I have seen tac bombers spot and engage subs. In the rules their sub view distance is 0, so I guess they only spot them when directly over them.

Btw, I do have a asw plane in my rule set that is made to spot and engage subs. I hope you don't change the rules to prevent this :)

Wow! Am I confused now. If I create a unit with a sight range of zero in the rules editor the AI doesn't know its there or does it? Or is there some special coding for subs? I created a special forces unit with a sight range of zero just like sub but they got hammered by any artillery that was in range. But you also said the AI knows where all enemy units are....Help :-)

This ai sighting thing is confusing. Either the ai can see all other units or they can't.

If they can, then the sighting distances in the ruleset only apply to the human player because the sighting distances for ai players is unlimited.

Brit, can we please get a clarification.

This ai sighting thing is confusing. Either the ai can see all other units or they can't.

If they can, then the sighting distances in the ruleset only apply to the human player because the sighting distances for ai players is unlimited.

Brit, can we please get a clarification.

The aircraft units cannot see subs. But, the AI can see all the units (it doesn't rely on the aircraft's view range). So, the view ranges only affect human players.