Fun Scenarios based on movies

It wasn't called 'Combat!' was it? I used to watch that as a kid and loved it. Starring Vic Morrow and Rick Jason. Jeez, I've just googled it and seen this:

Vic Morrow died in 1982 as a result of a helicopter crash on the set of "Twilight Zone:The Movie," Dick Peabody in 1999 of prostrate cancer and Rick Jason in 2000 of self-inflicted gunshot wound.

Wild Bill created a CMBO version of Saving Private Ryan, which I converted to CMAK. Check out the scenario depot and look for scenarios under my username.

I believe someone else did one on this movie as well. Can't remember who...maybe Warmonger?

There was also a CMAK remake of 'Sahara' at one time. Maybe over at the depot as well.

There's one on the CMAK cd called "A Walk in the Sun" named after the movie.

It was just a little walk

In the warm Italian sun

But it wasn't an easy thing

And poets are writing

The tale of that fight

And songs for children to sing

Let them sing of the men of a fighting platoon

Let them sing of the job they've done

How they came across the sea to sunny Italy

And took a little walk in the sun

:)

There was also a CMAK remake of 'Sahara' at one time. Maybe over at the depot as well.

"Sahara" is one of mine. Plays out like the movie. Works for either side, but I suggest playing as the Germans. You can find it over at The Scenario Depot.

I've seen at least one based on Kelly's Heros. In Europe, I believe the movie was called "Kelly's Gold." (I did a very quick search at TSD... did not see it.)

Speaking of war movies... could not believe was I saw on the tube earlier tonight. The movie is "Battle of El Alamein" made in 1968. Foreign, maybe Italian since it is from the Italian perspective, at least the 10 minutes I saw. The Italians are bracing for a British attack; defending with their two small caliber AT guns. What's this I see??? The British are riding in to the attack in Vietnam-era armored personnel carriers! Dropping the back hatch and dismounting the infantry. MG's raking the Italian trenches. The attack was beaten back with the Italian AT guns. Most incredible. :eek:

Suggested new thread:

"Books and Movies I'd Like To See Made Into A CM Battle"

I myself had a go at 'Ice-Cold In Alex' (Starred John Mills, Sylvia Sims) for CMAK, but it's really not that interesting as a battle :)

Sven Hassel's novel 'OGPU Prison' , however would work nicely for CMBB...

I myself am currently working on a CMBB scenario based on Bondarchuk's film version of 'War And Peace', which, with it's 10,000 Red Army extras, is about at the upper limit of what CM1 can handle :)

Actually, I'm not :)

...Bondarchuk's film version of 'War And Peace'...

I watched the first half of that in theater in late '69 or possibly early '70 and have wanted to see the whole thing all the way through ever since. I've had a request for it in Netflix for over a year, but they seem to be unable to come up with it.

:(

Michael

It wasn't called 'Combat!' was it? I used to watch that as a kid and loved it. Starring Vic Morrow and Rick Jason. Jeez, I've just googled it and seen this:

Vic Morrow died in 1982 as a result of a helicopter crash on the set of "Twilight Zone:The Movie," Dick Peabody in 1999 of prostrate cancer and Rick Jason in 2000 of self-inflicted gunshot wound.

Yes, I believe it was the 'Combat' series...

"watched the first half of that in theater in late '69 or possibly early '70 and have wanted to see the whole thing all the way through ever since"

Absolutely, Mr Emrys - an incredible film. No CGI, Just a division or so of troops :)

Do you use Torrents?

I can probably find something suitable. English subs? Or do you pa russki?

Normally, I wouldn't help a Sandgroper, but you were on our side in the last war, so for old times sake...

(Actually I spent quite some time in Fremantle...and a day in Poret Hedland, 2 hours in Geraldton and got pissed on cheap longnecks at the Fitzroy Crossing turn-off)

cheers,

Matt

Central South Welshman....

There is a scenario done by I think GAJ Green as Jade, on the Bruneval Raid. And I think there is a film of the incident .....

I seem to recall a movie on Bruneval. There are three scenarios at TSD on the raid. I played one of them... maybe Thorne's. It was fun.

Bruneval By: FREDROCK1957, Best Played As: Allies vs. AI

Bruneval radar By: LARRY THORNE, Best Played As: Allies vs. AI

Bruneval Raid By: VON_LUCKE, Best Played As: Two Player

"I seem to recall a movie on Bruneval" ...

It was in fact THE RED BERET (1953) which I saw on late-nite TV more than 30 years ago...

I can't remember whether it was any good, but it had a great cast :

Alan Ladd, Stanley Baker, Anton Diffring (as 'The Pole'), and Harry Andrews!

(courtesy of IMDB: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0046161/)

And on that subject, (red berets) I recommend THE LONG DAYS DYING (1968) if you can find a copy. Quite rare and brilliant (anti-) war film with David Hemmings about some paras behind enemy lines...

Not really suitable for a CM battle, though...only 4 characters, IIRC....

Do you use Torrents?

Nope. Sorry.

I can probably find something suitable. English subs? Or do you pa russki?

Subtitles always appreciated.

Normally, I wouldn't help a Sandgroper, but you were on our side in the last war, so for old times sake...

(Actually I spent quite some time in Fremantle...and a day in Poret Hedland, 2 hours in Geraldton and got pissed on cheap longnecks at the Fitzroy Crossing turn-off)

Don't confuse me with an Aussie. It's insulting to both of us. :D

Actually, the WA in my address stands for Washington State, in the Pacific Northwest of the USA.

PS: Thanks for the offer anyway. Maybe someday I will locate a copy and watch it through to conclusion.

Michael

"Don't confuse me with an Aussie. It's insulting to both of us."

LOL - I was actually born Chicago, IL myself....and hold both Kangaroo Republic AND Eagle Empire citizenship...

Having hitchiked up the whole of the Western Australian coastline, you'd think I would've known that there is no Port Townsend...but there are a lot of little oddball places there...perched on the rim of the Great Desert....

As far as Torrenting 'War & Peace' goes, I should point out that the copyright/piracy issue is moot, since the collapse of the Evil Empire.

Under the Soviet Regime, any infringement of State Control of People's Films was zealously punished by a special department of the KGB - the Buro Kopyretski Kino Spetnasy - which would identify anti-social internet brigands by their IP address, infiltrate a special kill-team into their country, and assassinate them using a tiny pellet of anthrax fire from a specially-modified potato-gun...

cheers,

Matt

(Ex-Cook County Hospital, 1965)

Having hitchiked up the whole of the Western Australian coastline, you'd think I would've known that there is no Port Townsend...but there are a lot of little oddball places there...perched on the rim of the Great Desert....

My understanding is that the whole place is a little...odd. Or maybe not always so little. ;)

(Ex-Cook County Hospital, 1965)

The mental ward, I take it?

:D

Michael

"My understanding is that the whole place is a little...odd. Or maybe not always so little."

Well, I think so - but I'm a Sydneysider, which is a bit like being a New Yorker -to us the whole rest of the country is backward, and the home of sister-chasing 2-headed inbreds.

Actually Western Australia tried to secede from the Commonwealth in the 1930's - but the rest of the country voted against it - not because of the inherent beauty of the Sandgroping females, but because W.A. is full of gold, diamonds and the world's biggest iron-ore deposit.

"The mental ward, I take it?"

I'm actually not expert enough to know whether Cook County Hospital even has a Mental Ward as such - and I'm not clever enough to use the Internets to find out.

I would imagine that even in 1965 they would have had SOME sort of containment facility for those presenting to Emergency with clear-cut psychosis.

I was born with unusually hairy ears, it is true, but that falls more into the realm of physical deformity, rather than lunacy as such.

Cook County is famous as a TEACHING hospital:

Apparently some of America's top military surgeons have honed their gunshot trauma skills there on Friday nights..

cheers,

Matt

"My understanding is that the whole place is a little...odd. Or maybe not always so little."

Well, I think so - but I'm a Sydneysider, which is a bit like being a New Yorker -to us the whole rest of the country is backward, and the home of sister-chasing 2-headed inbreds.

Oh but I was thinking of the whole country. :)

I was born with unusually hairy ears, it is true, but that falls more into the realm of physical deformity, rather than lunacy as such.

But we do know how closely the two are linked!

Michael

"Oh but I was thinking of the whole country"

Indeed Sir, and your point is well taken - but I would suggest that the country as a whole has markedly improved in the last two decades - not only have the wild animals been successfully eradicated from the major hamlets, but you can pretty much get a decent cup of coffee anywhere - conditions that I'm sad to say cannot be taken for granted in the U.S.A.

As far as Lycanthropy goes:

I don't know if you are rigorous in keeping up to date with advances in the biological sciences (I myself take several academic journals home from the barber's upon every visit) but recent research has fairly conclusively disproved any congruence between hyper-hirsuiteness and mental instability.

In plain english, werewolves may be BAD, but they are not MAD.

cheers,

Matt

I would suggest that the country as a whole has markedly improved in the last two decades - not only have the wild animals been successfully eradicated from the major hamlets, but you can pretty much get a decent cup of coffee anywhere - conditions that I'm sad to say cannot be taken for granted in the U.S.A.

All too sadly true. In some of the lesser establishments—of which there are entirely too many—"Fresh Brewed" means only that the coffee has been left to stew in the pot for no more than 24 hours.

(I myself take several academic journals home from the barber's upon every visit)

Oh? I had heard that Penthouse had ceased publication. But then, I confess to making no serious effort to keep up with that kind of thing.

Michael

Customer: Waitress - his coffee tastes like mud!!!

Waitress: I am not surprised - it was only ground this morning.

bom boom

cranky - I had that problem with that tree dweller also, but then as an American they are not taught geography so ignorance of the rest of the world and there states is logical. Fortunately they are quite good at saying Paris France so the rest of the world do not confuse it with the proper place in the US.

Incidentally WA could swallow the state of Washington ten times with change and is bigger than Alaska [which itself is bigger than Texas, California and Montana combined]

"as an American they are not taught geography..."

There is truth in that, and I do appreciate your support, Dieseltaylor, but in all fairness the mistake was mine.

Calling somebody a 'Sandgroper' when they are not could get you glassed in certain circles, or pre-emptively nuked in others...

I'm assuming that for Mr Emrys to understand my jibe-in-error, he would have Wiki'd 'Sandgroper' and found this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandgroper_%28insect%29

In which the term 'Degenerate Mole Cricket' is used.

From my reading of Classics Illustrated version of 'Paul Bunyan and Babe the Blue Ox', I understand that in the Great North Woods such a slur would lead to a duel with chainsaws, followed by a hearty meal of flapjacks with moose-butter for the survivor.

cheers,

Matt

Also, I must say that I am not altogether comfortable to be in any way justifying Western Australia's existence.

A great deal of the state looks like Mars, and people are few and far between, many living underground like their insect equivalents.

The great advantage an Easterner like me holds when visiting this province on the edge of the world is that the local females can sense that you carry fresh DNA, and are accordingly receptive, typically lying on their backs with their legs in the air to indicate friendliness.

cheers,

Matt