Support for EoS

pboudreau01

Hi, I am in Afghanistan. I just purchased and DL'd EoS. I am running it on a 64 bit Win Vista machine. I have a constant connection to the internet but cannot update the game. I get about eight turns into a game and it crashes consistently. Is there any way to DL the patch manually?

Thanks in advance

Paul...

Do you get an error of any kind when you click on 'Updates' button in game ? There's also a 'Get Updates' shortcut that should be in the Start/Windows Menu group for EOS too. Does that do anything or give you an error ?

Are you running any particular security software (anti-virus/anti-spyware/anti-malware/firewall/internet-security) on this computer ? You may want to turn off any non-Microsoft firewalls and see if that helps (if you are running one).

I believe, though I'm not absolutely certain, that you only need TCP Port 80 open in order for the 'Update' function to work. For network games you need UDP Port 60062 and TCP port 60062 open ('forwarding'). I'm not sure if there is something on system-wide firewall that may be blocking the functionality of the 'Update' function, but that is a possibility.

Hi, I am in Afghanistan. I just purchased and DL'd EoS. I am running it on a 64 bit Win Vista machine. I have a constant connection to the internet but cannot update the game. I get about eight turns into a game and it crashes consistently. Is there any way to DL the patch manually?

Thanks in advance

Paul...

The updater might not have permissions to write to your hard drive. You might need to set the Updater6.exe application to have administrator permissions.

By the way, what version of the game does it say you are running? (It should tell you in the lower right portion of the main menu.)

Thanks for the response. I am running 1.01 Build 2818. I did as suggested above, using the updater from the start menu but it just sits there saying initializing, then there is a little blip that is too fast to read and then the close button appears. If I try to use the updater from the game screen, I get a message stating that there is no internet connection. I have all of my security turned off. i have made it to turn 56 because of the autosave feature but it is crashing about ever other turn. I will try it on another machine to verify that it is not my laptop.

Thanks for the response. I am running 1.01 Build 2818. I did as suggested above, using the updater from the start menu but it just sits there saying initializing, then there is a little blip that is too fast to read and then the close button appears. If I try to use the updater from the game screen, I get a message stating that there is no internet connection. I have all of my security turned off. i have made it to turn 56 because of the autosave feature but it is crashing about ever other turn. I will try it on another machine to verify that it is not my laptop.

Hm. The updater uses normal http / port 80 to communicate (this is the same port that's used by web-browsers). (In other words, it's nothing too tricky or complicated.) You can access www.empiresofsteel.com with your web-browser, right?

Also, could you make sure your Internet Explorer browser* is not set to "work offline"?

* And I mean Internet Explorer specifically, not any other browser that you might use - like Firefox, Safari or Chrome.

I have verified all of the above. Still not working. I have licensed and played the game on two Vista and one Win 7 machine and it crashes constantly. I don't suppose that this fun little game has been ported to Mac has it? I get the same response when I try to run update on all three machines but I can surf to the empire website. I wonder if I can get a refund? I thought It may have something to do with out network but like I said, I can get to the website without issue. I do not use IE but I verified that i could get to the empire website with both IE and Firefox.

I figured out what is causing the crashes. When I send a unit to a loading point (little yellow circle) the game crashes. if i manually load transports, the game runs fine. I am sure an update fixes this. I will wait patiently until I return stateside next month to attempt to update the game. I am sure it must be an issue with our network here. We're in the middle of the Afghan desert using a satellite. Meanwhile, I will play with that restriction. Thanks for all of your suggestions.

I figured out what is causing the crashes. When I send a unit to a loading point (little yellow circle) the game crashes. if i manually load transports, the game runs fine. I am sure an update fixes this. I will wait patiently until I return stateside next month to attempt to update the game. I am sure it must be an issue with our network here. We're in the middle of the Afghan desert using a satellite. Meanwhile, I will play with that restriction. Thanks for all of your suggestions.

Well, if we need to, I can send you a full installer with the latest version of the game. Ideally, I'd like to get the updater working correctly for you, since there will be updates in the future.

I sent you a message. Did you get it?

Sorry, I have been out and about with no comms. I appreciate all of your assistance. I can tolerate the game as is. I suspect it is something with my network here. Odd that it let me D/L the game though. I'll be back in Dallas in three weeks. I will attempt to resolve the issue then.