Russian Helmets & Body Armor

Vin

I noticed that the Russian soldiers helmets look very similiar to the U.S. Army M1 Helmet. I would have thought they would be wearing the Russian Ssh68 helmets as shown on this page.

http://www.gostak.demon.co.uk/helmets/russia.htm

Please correct me if I'm wrong about the helmets. I have always prized the CM games for their historical accuracy. I'm enjoying CMA a lot and a small detail like this doesn't ruin the game for me. I wanted to point it out as I haven't seen it mentioned so far and maybe this can be addressed in the upcoming patch if it isn't too much trouble for the devs.

In another thread the lack of body armor for the russians was mentioned and I want to bring it to attention again if there is any chance it could be added in.

Soviet bodyarmor:

In period of 1980-89 soviets had 3 main type of bodyarmor:

In 1981, the body armor was adopted to supply the USSR Armed Forces, called 6B2 (Ж-81). Its protective composition consisted of a titanium armored AДУ-605-80 1.25 mm thick and ballistic screen made of aramid fabrics ТСВМ-ВЖ. When the mass of 4,8 kg BА provide protection against shrapnel and pistol bullets. Withstand bullets long-barreled smallarms weapons it could not (bullet cartridge 7,62 x39 penetrated the protective composition already at distances of 400-600 meters).

5.jpg

---

Going into Afghanistan War demanded equipping the army more reliable means of individual body armor, providing protection from the bullets of small arms on the actual range of combined arms battle. Were developed and adopted for the supply of two types of body armor: 6B3TM and 6B4. In the first use of titanium armored АДУ-605T-83 6,5 mm thick, in the second - Ceramic AДУ 14.20.00.000, boron carbide. Both provide a circular bulletproof vest protected from bullets PS 7.62 x39 cartridge from a distance of 10 meters. However, military experience has shown that the weight of such protection is obtained excessive. So, 6B3TM weighed 12.2 kg, and 6B4 - 12 kg. As a result, it was decided to make the protection differentiated: bulletproof chest section, and back - ballistic (with titanium armor, similar to those used in the vest 6B2. It is possible to reduce weight vests to 8,2 and 7,6 kg, respectively. In 1985, these bullet-proof vests have been taken to supply under the symbol 6B3-01 (Ж-85T)

6.jpg

7.jpg

and 6B401 (Ж-85Т)

8.jpg

When creating these vests for the first time an attempt was made to combine the protective functions with the possibility of carrying military calculations. In the pockets of special covers vests could be placed 4 stores to AK or RPK, 4 hand grenades, gas mask and a radio station.

---

And 6B5 (Ж-86)

9.jpg

Based on the accumulated experience, it was decided to make a unified body armor, which, having a single structure could be equipped with different types of armor elements and provide protection at various levels. This vest was adopted for the supply in 1986 under the symbol 6B5 (Ж-86). Others taken to supply body armor has been decided to leave the troops to their full replacement (actually, BА 6B3-01 had to war and the first and second chechnskie campaign).

The new jacket was a case in which the screens were placed soft ballistic fabric ТСВМ-ДЖ, and so-called circuit boards, which were placed in the pockets of armored. In the protective composition can be used armor types: ceramic AДУ 14.20.00.000, titanium АДУ-605T-83 and AДУ-605-80 and steel АДУ 14.05 3,8 mm thick

In the photo shows the jacket of one of the most recent issue - already with a cover of fabric with camouflage patterns, "birch", adopted for the Armed Forces. Most of the previously issued flak jackets took blankets from a nylon fabric of various shades of green or gray-green color. There were also party with covers made of cotton fabric with a camouflage pattern (two-tone for the KGB and the MVD of the USSR, tri-color - for the Airborne and Marine Corps).

Depending on the type of protective composition and, accordingly, secured by the level of protection vest had 9 modifications.

Flak 6B5 and 6B5-11-12 have ballistic protection primasse 3 and 5 kg, respectively. They were intended to calculate artillery, missile systems, ACS, l / s headquarters, support units, etc.

Flak 6B5-13 6B5-14 6B5-15 provides a circular bulletproof protection, weight 11 kg (6B5-15 - 11,5 kg) and were destined for hp units that carry out specific short-term military objectives (assault, etc. )

Flak 6B5-16 6B5-17 6B5-18 6B5-19 with differentiated protection and weighing 7 kg (6B5-19 - 6 kg) were intended for l / CB combat units, airborne troops and marines of the Navy.

Production of these vests continued until 1998. In 2000, the order of the Minister of Defense BА series 6B5 were removed from the supply, while leaving in service in the army jackets to full replacement of modern products.

I noticed that the Russian soldiers helmets look very similiar to the U.S. Army M1 Helmet.

Yes, you are right. Actually, I think that they used the same helmet model of Syrian army in CMSF.

I agree that these details don't spoil the game, but they make the difference in terms of historical accuracy and immersion (especially at ground level! :D)

Is it feasible that in a future patch the helmet model can be modified?

Thank you Alex for the added information on Soviet body armor. I have learned more in the past few minutes on this subject than I have ever been able to find - excellent research. Thank you Nicdain and Amedeo for your feedback. I would like to see the winter coats fixed too. We can only hope for fixes of what can't be modded.

• 2 years later...
I noticed that the Russian soldiers helmets look very similiar to the U.S. Army M1 Helmet. I would have thought they would be wearing the Russian Ssh68 helmets as shown on this page.

http://www.gostak.demon.co.uk/helmets/russia.htm

Please correct me if I'm wrong about the helmets. I have always prized the CM games for their historical accuracy. I'm enjoying CMA a lot and a small detail like this doesn't ruin the game for me. I wanted to point it out as I haven't seen it mentioned so far and maybe this can be addressed in the upcoming patch if it isn't too much trouble for the devs.

In another thread the lack of body armor for the russians was mentioned and I want to bring it to attention again if there is any chance it could be added in.

Search repository my friend and you find the body armor.

439acaf0b362.jpg

fee5ebe6e611.jpg

0ba13c4766f8.jpg

• 1 month later...

Alex,

I'd call your post great, but stellar is more like it! The last I looked at this was in SOF (SOLDIER OF FORTUNE) magazine during the Soviet-Afghan War when people from SOF went to Afghanistan, visited the Muj and brought back the Soviet body armor with the titanium hexagons inside, I believe. The SOF people brought back stuff that had the intel types here in fits of threat analyst ecstasy. I still have an AK-74 cartridge brass and a Spetsnaz(?) short sleeved striped shirt from Afghanistan, bought from a reputable militaria dealer during that war. SVD on the wall and an R123 radio on the counter, plus cammies from every part of the world!

Regards,

John Kettler