Helicopters?

Elmar Bijlsma

So how are helicopters fitting in to this game?

Strikes me that the maps are just too small to make any realistic use of helicopters. They would (or at least should) get chewed up by the enemy.

Any insight on how they would fit in to a scenario?

They may work as airborne APCs. Screenshots show US soldiers jumping into one of them.

I'm affraid if the maps in Korea are the same size as the maps in Kursk (2km x 2km), it will be a waste of effort to include Helis.

As is, with 2km x 2km, the tanks can shoot enemy easily from 1Km away rendering the movement and tactical positioning, scouting and hunting basically useless.

Many have brought this up to developers in the past with TOW1 and TOW2 but they are not listening! It is either the engine limitation and inability to track more elements and lack of R&D investment to improve it OR plain old Russian stubbornness!! Hopefully, it is the latter!

Helis in a 2km x 2km will not be fun nor feasible. All new and modern games in strategy genre have figured out the importance of scale both in terms of units on the field and size of the theatre to enable key aspects of the battle such as troop movement, support and supplies, scouting, transport to far out positions in the front, and proper deployment of air support including Helis.

Over.

But the A from APC stands for armoured, which these guys are not.

On a ToW battlefield, there does not seem enough room for their safe or indeed useful operation.

Well... I'm out of ideas, really :P

With helicopters you can:

1. Transport soldiers/equipment/etc. from Point A to Point B.

2. Provide air support, though I suppose fixed-wing aircraft took care of that during the "Forgotten War".

• 3 weeks later...
I'm affraid if the maps in Korea are the same size as the maps in Kursk (2km x 2km), it will be a waste of effort to include Helis.

As is, with 2km x 2km, the tanks can shoot enemy easily from 1Km away rendering the movement and tactical positioning, scouting and hunting basically useless.

Have you ever tried to shoot down a chopper with a tank, even in simulation? It's a lot easier to talk about it then to do it and tanks back in the 50's had no laser range finders or gun stabilizers (AFAIK). If the developers use "tree top" level flight characteristcs for deployment and LZ's then the helios will work just fine.

ShiftZ,

Who is talking about tanks shooting down Hellis? Have you forgotten about AAA units and anti tank infantry? With a 2km x 2km, basically any Helli that is airborne will be spotted and immediately in the range of AA units.

Again,

Unless the maps are extended and more terrain elevation is added (small hills and valleys won't do), Hellis will be flying ducks in a open season resort full of hunters with shotguns!!

Over and out.

I wonder if these helcopters crash in fireballs like aircraft in tow or if they suffer compartmentiled damage like trucks and other vehicles. I would like to recreate a ditches of toko-ri skirmish just for posterity

True these old sikorskeys are not Hind's and can be easily dropped by small arms fire.

Like to hear some answers just to keep the forum discussion flowing.

I wonder if these helcopters crash in fireballs like aircraft in tow or if they suffer compartmentiled damage like trucks and other vehicles. I would like to recreate a ditches of toko-ri skirmish just for posterity

True these old sikorskeys are not Hind's and can be easily dropped by small arms fire.

Like to hear some answers just to keep the forum discussion flowing.

My money would be on "crashing down in a ball of flame".

We still don't know how the choppers come into play, though.

• 2 weeks later...

Many have brought this up to developers in the past with TOW1 and TOW2 but they are not listening! It is either the engine limitation and inability to track more elements and lack of R&D investment to improve it OR plain old Russian stubbornness!! Hopefully, it is the latter!

Helis in a 2km x 2km will not be fun nor feasible. All new and modern games in strategy genre have figured out the importance of scale both in terms of units on the field and size of the theatre to enable key aspects of the battle such as troop movement, support and supplies, scouting, transport to far out positions in the front, and proper deployment of air support including Helis.

Over.

It's probably due to the already cpu intensive nature of the game, if they increased it many people wouldnt be able to play it even on pretty decent pcs.

If it was me id have helis working similar to CMSF, off screen fire missions/scouting/dropping troops in, getting wounded out (for bonus points?)