Mark Mines !!!

afreu

I just started the CM:A demo and witnessed something incredible.

After a BTR 60 detonated a mine, I decided to move the nearby engineer squad to a safer location. As I selected Quick-Move I noticed how the Mark-Mine command became active. But it disappeared quickly as the squad moved away from the mines. I fiddled around a bit and discovered that if the engineer squad is close to the mines one can actually use the Mark-Mine command. When activated the squad moves to the mines, does this hide-spot thingie (similiar to the Blast command) and eventually the mine turns from red to yellow and apparently the minefield is cleared.

Unless I overlooked this feature in the last CM:SF patch this new (groundbreaking) function was introduced with CM:A.

Btw, does someone know if the command works also with mines, that have not been detonated?

*I find it slightly worrying how such a small feature gives me so much pleasure :P

This has been around in CMSF for a while. The problem is that "Mark Mines" is kind of useless IMO. Units can't spot enemy mines until they've been detonated, so it's generally just a lot easier to move around the minefield once it's been spotted rather than to mark the mines.

The minefield is NOT cleared, by the way. :(

Can we get bigger mine signs? There's a been a few times when a vehicle hits a mine and then sits right on top of the sign making it tough to tell they even hit a mine. Not to mention it's difficult to see what color the sign is until moving the camera down there.

Also do you have to keep the engineers there after the sign turns yellow? Because it appears like they are done doing their hiding/spotting dance. And couldn't we get more descriptive text then that, something that makes more sense like "Clearing" or something.